From: Bit Twister on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:53:13 -0500, Ohmster wrote:

> from LDAP, but for now, I need a working script. So are you saying that I
> need to copy and paste what is between these dotted line separators into
> a text file with vim and execute it?

I would have clicked up a terminal
cat > geturls
Highlight from usenet reader, paste in the terminal, and hit
ctl d

Set permissions with
chmod +x geturls

> Do I need to put "#!/bin/bash" at
> the top of it?

If you like.

> That's it? Paste this into a file called geturls in vim, chmod it to 755,
> and then execute it in the same directory as where all the desktop
> shortcut files are?

Yep, looks good to me.

> Do I need to prepare the desktop shortcut files in
> any way such as give them all the same extension

That is why the grep did not specify file extension.

> or remove spaces?

Hey, try it and see if url in a spaced file name shows up in the
output file.

From: Bit Twister on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 01:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:53:13 -0500, Ohmster wrote:
>

> Hey, try it and see if url in a spaced file name shows up in the
> output file.

Frap, I just noticed, you need to change the " to \" in the colors section of
the header. :(
From: Ohmster on
John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote in

> Create a directory and put all the "shortcuts" it. You'll have to
unzip
> the zips yourself. Make sure all the filenames end in ".url". Don't
> worry about the spaces. Then run this (untested) command in the
> directory:
>
> grep '^URL=http://' *.url | cut -f2 -d= > urls
>
> This will put a list of URLs in the file "urls". Do you want the
> filename associated with each URL?

Oh this is great, answers! And bit twister went so far as to give me
school on it, this is great, you guys rock man. Okay, first let's try out
John's command line to see if it works, preparing directory now...

(I don't care about the filename as to where the url came from, but thank
you for asking.)

....adding the url extension to all files in directory. I can use a
Windows file renamer but I wonder if I could do that with mv? Hmmm, when
in a Linux filesystem, these files ALL have the url extension, and I DO
NOT have the stupid "Hide known file extensions" box checked in Windows!
Now that really is odd, I wonder why Windows will not display that
extension in explorer? What about in a command window or with the Windows
version of ls? No, in a command window, all the files in Windows shows
the url extension, whether checking with dir, ls, or ls -la, they all
show the .url extension. Okay, onward and forward with John's test!

Wow! That worked a treat, just like that, BAM! ...and it was all done. No
output on the screen, no time processing the job, just bam and done.
Thank you very, very much. I need this bit of script so into my scripts
directory it goes. Now it will be fun to test and learn from Bit Twister.
Thank you John!

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body
From: Ohmster on
John Hasler <jhasler(a)newsguy.com> wrote in

> Create a directory and put all the "shortcuts" it. You'll have to
unzip
> the zips yourself. Make sure all the filenames end in ".url". Don't
> worry about the spaces. Then run this (untested) command in the
> directory:
>
> grep '^URL=http://' *.url | cut -f2 -d= > urls
>
> This will put a list of URLs in the file "urls". Do you want the
> filename associated with each URL?

This worked very well, thanks John, but it did get tripped up by at least
one of the urls. I am telling and showing you this not to complain, but
so that you can see what the error was and maybe how to fix it.

This URL file was not read properly.

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.xanadugallery.com/Art/SubjectList.asp?Inventory
Category=3
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.xanadugallery.com/Art/SubjectList.asp?Inventory Category=3
IDList=
[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,2

That "Inventory Category=3" is actually all part of the URL and is
exactly how one has to visit that page to get the correct link. The
script returned this URL:

http://www.xanadugallery.com/Art/SubjectList.asp?Inventory Category

The "=3" part is missing from the harvested URL.

I am by no means "looking a gift horse in the mouth", but I thought that
you should know about it. I wonder if Bit Twister's it of madness will
fare any better? Oh this is such fun!

From: Ohmster on
Bit Twister <BitTwister(a)mouse-potato.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 01:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Bit Twister wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:53:13 -0500, Ohmster wrote:
>>

>> Hey, try it and see if url in a spaced file name shows up in the
>> output file.
>
> Frap, I just noticed, you need to change the " to \" in the colors
> section of the header. :(

Apparently you want me to escape something with a backslash in the color
section of the script here:

<BODY
BGCOLOR="Wheat"
LINK="Blue"
VLINK="Red"
ALINK="Green"
TEXT="Black"
<H4 ALIGN="CENTER">
$PWD
" > $_out_fn

But what? What has to be escaped with the backslash Bit?