From: tms3 on

> I have a Samba server,
Operating system Samba Version. Does *Nix file system used support
ACL's? Are ACL's turned on for the samba share mountpoint?

> joined to my Windows Active Directory domain, and
> I'm having a problem setting ACLs on a share from Windows. On Windows,
> get the error message "Unable to save permission changes on <folder>.
> The
> parameter is incorrect." and when I look in my Samba log, I see the
> message "ACL is invalid for set (Invalid argument)".
>
> "getent passwd" and "getent group" return both local and AD users and
> groups, respectively.
>
> Here are the relevant lines from my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> workgroup = <My domain>
> server string = Samba Server Version %v
> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> max log size = 50
> log level = 3 winbind:10 acls:10
> security = ads
> realm = <My domain>.LOCAL
> encrypt passwords = yes
> idmap uid = 2000-10000
> idmap gid = 2000-10000
> winbind enum groups = yes
> winbind enum users = yes
> wins server = 10.0.0.65
> load printers = no
> cups options = raw
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> writable = yes
> [printers]
> comment = All Printers
> path = /var/spool/samba
> browseable = no
> guest ok = no
> writable = no
> printable = yes
> [paperport]
> comment = Test share for PaperPort images
> path = /u1/images
> admin users = <My domain>\<user1> <My domain>\<me>
> public = yes
> writable = yes
> browseable = yes
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something minor, but I can't figure out what it
> is.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks

It works for me - Solaris 10, ZFS file system, configured as a PDC or BDC

#testparm -v | grep "acl "

acl compatibility = auto
acl check permissions = Yes
acl group control = No
acl map full control = Yes
force unknown acl user = No
nt acl support = Yes
map acl inherit = No

If you are on linux, ext3 and ext4 should support acl's.

Can you use "setfacl" to change permissions on a file on the unix level
using the uid of a domain user?
Can you, in windows, set permissions for someone defined as a local user?
That might indicated if the problem is really with ACL's or if the problem
is with winbind retrieving users from the domain controller. (Although
getent seems to indicate that that winbind is not the problem.)

I can't seem to verify whether or my first attempt at sending this
message was successful, so I'm reposting it, using a different method. I
apologize if anyone has seen it already.

I have a Samba server, joined to my Windows Active Directory domain, and
I'm having a problem setting ACLs on a share from Windows. On Windows, I

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:26:47 -0400, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:

> It works for me - Solaris 10, ZFS file system, configured as a PDC or
> BDC
>
> #testparm -v | grep "acl "
>
> acl compatibility = auto
> acl check permissions = Yes
> acl group control = No
> acl map full control = Yes
> force unknown acl user = No
> nt acl support = Yes
> map acl inherit = No

I'll try those settings and see if that works.

> Can you use "setfacl" to change permissions on a file on the unix level
> using the uid of a domain user?

Yes.

> Can you, in windows, set permissions for someone defined as a local
> user?

I don't know. I'll have to set up user mappings to get that to work.

> That might indicated if the problem is really with ACL's or if the
> problem is with winbind retrieving users from the domain controller.
> (Although getent seems to indicate that that winbind is not the
> problem.)

Thanks.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:55:26 -0700, tms3 wrote:

> Operating system Samba Version.

Fedora 13. Samba 3.5.4 (the one supplied with Fedora)

> Does *Nix file system used support
> ACL's?

Yes.

> Are ACL's turned on for the samba share mountpoint?

Is this an OS setting or a Samba setting?

Thanks.

On 07/07/10 01:11 AM, Dadoo wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:55:26 -0700, tms3 wrote:
>

>> Operating system Samba Version.
>>
> Fedora 13. Samba 3.5.4 (the one supplied with Fedora)
>

>> Does *Nix file system used support
>> ACL's?
>>
> Yes.
>

>> Are ACL's turned on for the samba share mountpoint?
>>
> Is this an OS setting or a Samba setting?
>
> Thanks.

ACLs can sometimes be turned on or off on a file system as a mount
option. Other times it's inherent in the system. It may even be a
format-time option.