From: Calvin Sambrook on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <95v3e59c3ofa2ihu7lmbpvuui1jsuu0ure(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >just avoid sigma lenses
>>
>> Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.
>
> generally true but some sigma lenses are not cheap. for instance, the
> sigma 300-800 is $10k and the 120-300 is $3200 (b&h). the 120-300
> aspires to be #1 for being unreliable, with an 84.6% failure rate. you
> just can't get failure rates like that when you pay less!
>
> <http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.09.20/lens-repair-data-20>

I'm deeply shocked. For a commercial rental company to openly criticize a
major supplier in the way that lensrentals have done is almost unheard of.
They must be absolutely certain of their position. And what a position, of
Sigma they say:
"Our techs coined the phrase "Sigma'd" to describe any lens that didn't
function."
"[Sigma's] repair turnaround time was, to be charitable, leisurely."
"Sigma was about 5% of our rentals but almost one-third of our customer
complaints."

I wish I'd known about that site before buying.

So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub �200, it's a hobby after
all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
reviews. Are Tamron any good?

From: nospam on
In article <hbt6p3$l7s$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Calvin Sambrook
<csambrook(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:

> So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub �200, it's a hobby after
> all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
> as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
> reviews. Are Tamron any good?

some are and some aren't. it depends on the lens. the tamron 90mm macro
is outstanding, and one of the best macro lenses made. on the other
hand, the tamron 200-400mm was horrible, truly horrible.
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <hbt6p3$l7s$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Calvin Sambrook
> <csambrook(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> So any recommendations for a cheap-end (ie. sub 200, it's a hobby after
>> all) tele zoom for a Sony? My current thoughts are to buy a Sony brand lens
>> as surely that must be matched to the body, but they get poor optical
>> reviews. Are Tamron any good?

> some are and some aren't. it depends on the lens. the tamron 90mm macro
> is outstanding, and one of the best macro lenses made. on the other
> hand, the tamron 200-400mm was horrible, truly horrible.

Same goes for Sony lenses. Their 18-250mm zoom for example is a
rebadged and slightly improved version of the highly respected
18-250mm Tamron. It's a rare manufacturer that makes no good
lenses. And despite the weak focus gear teeth on some of their heavier
long zooms, some of Sigma's lenses are very good too.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: me on
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:58:04 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.

Not a 100% rule to follow. I'm happy with my Tokina AT-X 124 DX Pro
12-24mm f4 lens, which is substantially cheaper than the Nikon
equivalent. Yes, it's not and AF-S lens, but I couldn't justify the
delta cost for that.
From: nospam on
In article <ie86e5dso2kr7v05c2ajdd9i9r8bhnan6b(a)4ax.com>, me
<me(a)mine.net> wrote:

> >Amen. You tend to get what you pay for.
>
> Not a 100% rule to follow. I'm happy with my Tokina AT-X 124 DX Pro
> 12-24mm f4 lens, which is substantially cheaper than the Nikon
> equivalent. Yes, it's not and AF-S lens, but I couldn't justify the
> delta cost for that.

that's a very good lens, and there's also a new version of it with a
built-in motor.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Jupiter