From: paparios on
On 8 oct, 17:17, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 5:06 pm, "papar...(a)gmail.com" <papar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You do not understand Einstein's Relativity of Simultaneity.
>
> > > In Einstein's Relativity of Simultaneity the lightning strike at A/A'
> > > is a single event and all of the light from A/A' will reach M
> > > simultaneously.
>
> > > This is not what is occurring in Simultaneity of Relativity. In
> > > Simultaneity of Relativity, the light from the lightning strike at A'
> > > reaches M prior to the light from A reaching M
>
> > No it is you who, clearly, does not understand any physics.
> > If you now are asserting that the strikes are simultaneous at points A
> > and A', then your video is totally bogus since you are clearly showing
> > two circles growing one from point A and the other from point A' and
> > hence they are not moving at the same speed.
>
> > Miguel Rios
>
> Yes, the lightning strike at A/A' occurs simultaneously because it is
> a single lightning strike that just happens to hit at A and A'
> simultaneously.
>
> The light from the lightning strike at A is moving through the aether
> which is stationary relative to the embankment and the light from the
> lightning strike at A' is moving through the aether which is
> stationary relative to the train.

Again, you have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.

What Einstein gedanken says is quite clear: observer M on the
embankment is right on the midle of the distance between points A and
B and when the strikes hit both A and B he will later receive both
light signals simultaneously. Then he ask the readers if observer M'
on the train will observe the same and he proved that he will not.

When the strikes happened, M' (moving at a speed v=0.6c let us say)
was passing just in front of M. So the spacetime coordinates of the
same event are given by the Lorentz transformation equations:

x' = gamma (x - vt) ; t’ = gamma (t - vx/c^2)
where gamma=1/ (sqrt(1- v^2/c^2))=1.25 since v=0.6c

So in the embankment frame, the two strikes were at t=0 and
x_A=-100000km, x_B=+100000km, so it is quite evident that:

x_A'=-125000km, t_A'=+0.25sec are the coordinates of point A' on the
train

x_B'=+125000km, t_B'=-0.25sec are the coordinates of point B' on the
train

So as the observer M received both light signals at the same time,
meaning the strikes hit at the same time on the embankment frame, the
same event were not at the same time on the train frame and that is
all to this gedanken.

Miguel Rios
From: mpc755 on
On Oct 8, 7:46 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 6:18 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Such cheesy baiting.
> > > If you actually do the search I recommended, and you click on the
> > > FIRST link it returns, you'll have a lovely list of experiments.
> > > If you cannot do even this without whining, is it an indicator that
> > > you are hopelessly lazy or hopelessly incompetent?

> > > No, it's not. In your theory the speed of light is relative to the
> > > aether. In ballistic theory it is relative to the source.
>
> > If the train is half full of water and the water is stationary in the
> > train and you drop pebbles at A' and B', the waves from A' and B' will
> > reach M' simultaneously.
>
> > If the embankment is half full of water and the water is stationary
> > relative to the embankment and you drop pebbles into the water at A
> > and B, the waves from A and B will reach M simultaneously.
>
> > If you drop pebbles into the water at A and A' simultaneously and drop
> > pebbles into B and B' simultaneously, if the waves from A and B reach
> > M simultaneously, the waves from A' and B' will reach M'
> > simultaneously.
>
> If it helps, MPC, Einstein's train gedanken can just as well take
> place on open, flat-bed cars.

The water is stationary relative to the embankment and the train is
moving along under the water and not affecting the water. Pebbles are
dropped at A/A' and B/B'. The wave from B/B' travels from B to M'. The
waves from A and B and reach M simultaneously. The wave from A reaches
M'. A' and B' are irrelevant in this scenario.

The water is stationary relative to the train. Pebbles are dropped at
A/A' and B/B'. The wave from A' reaches M. The waves from A' and B'
reach M' simultaneously. The wave from B' reaches M. A and B are
irrelevant in this scenario.

'Fizeau experiment'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fizeau_experiment

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 8, 8:51 pm, "papar...(a)gmail.com" <papar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No it is you who, clearly, does not understand any physics.
> > > If you now are asserting that the strikes are simultaneous at points A
> > > and A', then your video is totally bogus since you are clearly showing
> > > two circles growing one from point A and the other from point A' and
> > > hence they are not moving at the same speed.
>
> > > Miguel Rios
>
> > Yes, the lightning strike at A/A' occurs simultaneously because it is
> > a single lightning strike that just happens to hit at A and A'
> > simultaneously.
>
> > The light from the lightning strike at A is moving through the aether
> > which is stationary relative to the embankment and the light from the
> > lightning strike at A' is moving through the aether which is
> > stationary relative to the train.
>
> Again, you have not the slightest idea of what you are talking about.
>
> What Einstein gedanken says is quite clear: observer M on the
> embankment is right on the midle of the distance between points A and
> B and when the strikes hit both A and B he will later receive both
> light signals simultaneously. Then he ask the readers if observer M'
> on the train will observe the same and he proved that he will not.
>
> When the strikes happened, M' (moving at a speed v=0.6c let us say)
> was passing just in front of M. So the spacetime coordinates of the
> same event are given by the Lorentz transformation equations:
>
> x' = gamma (x - vt)   ;  t’ = gamma (t - vx/c^2)
> where gamma=1/ (sqrt(1- v^2/c^2))=1.25 since v=0.6c
>
> So in the embankment frame, the two strikes were at t=0 and
> x_A=-100000km, x_B=+100000km, so it is quite evident that:
>
> x_A'=-125000km, t_A'=+0.25sec are the coordinates of point A' on the
> train
>
> x_B'=+125000km, t_B'=-0.25sec are the coordinates of point B' on the
> train
>
> So as the observer M received both light signals at the same time,
> meaning the strikes hit at the same time on the embankment frame, the
> same event were not at the same time on the train frame and that is
> all to this gedanken.
>
> Miguel Rios

Yes, in Relativity of Simultaneity the lightning strike at A/A' occurs
at a different time in the embankment frame of reference than it does
in the train frame of reference. Same with the lightning strike at B/
B'. But in each frame of reference, in Relativity of Simultaneity,
there are still only two lightning strikes, one at A/A' and one at B/
B'.

In Simultaneity of Relativity, even though there are two lightning
strikes, one at A/A' and one at B/B', the light from the lightning
strike at A travels from A to the destinations. Same for the lightning
strikes at A', B, and B'. The light from each lightning strike is
effected by the aether that is stationary in each reference frame and
travels different distances to the destinations.
From: PD on
On Oct 8, 8:34 pm, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 7:46 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If the train is half full of water and the water is stationary in the
> > > train and you drop pebbles at A' and B', the waves from A' and B' will
> > > reach M' simultaneously.
>
> > > If the embankment is half full of water and the water is stationary
> > > relative to the embankment and you drop pebbles into the water at A
> > > and B, the waves from A and B will reach M simultaneously.
>
> > > If you drop pebbles into the water at A and A' simultaneously and drop
> > > pebbles into B and B' simultaneously, if the waves from A and B reach
> > > M simultaneously, the waves from A' and B' will reach M'
> > > simultaneously.
>
> > If it helps, MPC, Einstein's train gedanken can just as well take
> > place on open, flat-bed cars.
>
> The water is stationary relative to the embankment and the train is
> moving along under the water and not affecting the water. Pebbles are
> dropped at A/A' and B/B'. The wave from B/B' travels from B to M'. The
> waves from A and B and reach M simultaneously. The wave from A reaches
> M'.

And notice that the waves from A and B do not arrive at M' at the same
time.

> A' and B' are irrelevant in this scenario.

Well, strictly speaking they are in the Einstein gedanken too, because
there really are only two lightning strikes.

It would be really great if you could learn a bit more about what the
Einstein gedanken really says before you waste a lot of time creating
animations about something completely irrelevant and then demonstrate
that you really didn't understand the Einstein gedanken in the first
place.

> The water is stationary relative to the train. Pebbles are dropped at
> A/A' and B/B'. The wave from A' reaches M. The waves from A' and B'
> reach M' simultaneously. The wave from B' reaches M. A and B are
> irrelevant in this scenario.

OK, but there are really only two lightning strikes, and the water
doesn't really have time to switch from being stationary relative to
the embankment to being stationary relative to the train.

Einstein's gedanken is about ONE pair of events (the lightning
strikes) and what happens to the light as observed by M and M' for
that ONE case, not two cases.

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 9, 8:57 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If it helps, MPC, Einstein's train gedanken can just as well take
> > > place on open, flat-bed cars.
>
> > The water is stationary relative to the embankment and the train is
> > moving along under the water and not affecting the water. Pebbles are
> > dropped at A/A' and B/B'. The wave from B/B' travels from B to M'. The
> > waves from A and B and reach M simultaneously. The wave from A reaches
> > M'.
>
> And notice that the waves from A and B do not arrive at M' at the same
> time.

Yes, because the water is stationary relative to the embankment. In
this scenario, the embankment is the preferred frame.

For Einstein's train thought experiment to be truly relative, there
can be no preferred frame.

Therefore, the water must be stationary relative to the embankment in
the embankment frame of reference and stationary relative to the train
in the train reference frame.

In this scenario, my animation holds in the light from A and B reaches
M and the light from A' and B' reaches M' simultaneously.

> > The water is stationary relative to the train. Pebbles are dropped at
> > A/A' and B/B'. The wave from A' reaches M. The waves from A' and B'
> > reach M' simultaneously. The wave from B' reaches M. A and B are
> > irrelevant in this scenario.
>
> OK, but there are really only two lightning strikes, and the water
> doesn't really have time to switch from being stationary relative to
> the embankment to being stationary relative to the train.

The water doesn't have to switch. The water is stationary relative to
the embankment in the embankment frame of reference and the water is
stationary relative to the train in the train frame of reference.

There is a single lightning strike at A/A' but A in on the embankment
and A' is on the train. Likewise with the lightning strike at B/B'.

> Einstein's gedanken is about ONE pair of events (the lightning
> strikes) and what happens to the light as observed by M and M' for
> that ONE case, not two cases.

That is why I am saying Einstein is incorrect. He is trying to have it
both ways. He wants to have a single lightning strike in two reference
frames where the reference frames are not equal.

If his train thought experiment was correct with equal reference
frames, the light from the lightning strikes at A and B would reach M
and the light from the lightning strikes at A' and B' would reach M'
simultaneously: