From: PD on
On Oct 9, 8:53 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The water is stationary relative to the embankment and the train is
> > > moving along under the water and not affecting the water. Pebbles are
> > > dropped at A/A' and B/B'. The wave from B/B' travels from B to M'. The
> > > waves from A and B and reach M simultaneously. The wave from A reaches
> > > M'.
>
> > And notice that the waves from A and B do not arrive at M' at the same
> > time.
>
> Yes, because the water is stationary relative to the embankment. In
> this scenario, the embankment is the preferred frame.
>
> For Einstein's train thought experiment to be truly relative, there
> can be no preferred frame.
>
> Therefore, the water must be stationary relative to the embankment in
> the embankment frame of reference and stationary relative to the train
> in the train reference frame.

Yes! And notice that, because the train cars are open, flatbed cars,
you have to satisfy both criteria at the same time!

Here's where the fun starts. So if there is an aether (or water as you
want to analogize), it has to be stationary with respect to the
embankment AND to the train, at the same time. Not different
scenarios. At the same time.

> In this scenario, my animation holds in the light from A and B reaches
> M and the light from A' and B' reaches M' simultaneously.

No, certainly not. Because it's the same medium.
The embankment observer notes that the light from A and B reaches M'
at different times.
The train observer has to agree with that. Nature doesn't produce two
different measurable outcomes at the same time. There is only one.
Either the light arrives at the same time at M' or it doesn't. The
embankment observer and the train observer have to agree which one of
those two it was.

It appears that you are having a slow time getting a grip on what the
Einstein gedanken really says.

> > > The water is stationary relative to the train. Pebbles are dropped at
> > > A/A' and B/B'. The wave from A' reaches M. The waves from A' and B'
> > > reach M' simultaneously. The wave from B' reaches M. A and B are
> > > irrelevant in this scenario.
>
> > OK, but there are really only two lightning strikes, and the water
> > doesn't really have time to switch from being stationary relative to
> > the embankment to being stationary relative to the train.
>
> The water doesn't have to switch. The water is stationary relative to
> the embankment in the embankment frame of reference and the water is
> stationary relative to the train in the train frame of reference.

But these aren't two different sequences of events. It's the same
train, the same two lightning strikes, and there is only one pool of
water surrounding the embankment and the open train cars. So you tell
me, how can the water be stationary relative to the train AND
stationary relative to the embankment?

> There is a single lightning strike at A/A' but A in on the embankment
> and A' is on the train. Likewise with the lightning strike at B/B'.
>
> > Einstein's gedanken is about ONE pair of events (the lightning
> > strikes) and what happens to the light as observed by M and M' for
> > that ONE case, not two cases.
>
> That is why I am saying Einstein is incorrect. He is trying to have it
> both ways. He wants to have a single lightning strike in two reference
> frames where the reference frames are not equal.

What do you mean "equal"?

The same sequence of events live in a bunch of reference frames all at
once.
If a sailor falls from the crow's nest of a ship, you can look at that
sequence of events from the deck of the ship or you can look at that
SAME sequence of events from the shore. This is looking at the SAME
sequence of events from two different reference frames.
In the reference frame of the ship, the sailor falls in a straight
line down and lands at the bottom of the mast. In the reference frame
of the shore (because the ship is moving relative to the shore), the
sailor falls in a parabola, landing some distance to one side of where
he left the crow's nest. This is what Galileo understood and used as
an example to explain.
There is only one sailor and he only fell once. The sailor travels in
a straight line AND in a parabola AT THE SAME TIME. It's just that the
path is dependent on the reference frame.

> If his train thought experiment was correct with equal reference
> frames, the light from the lightning strikes at A and B would reach M
> and the light from the lightning strikes at A' and B' would reach M'
> simultaneously:

But they DON'T, in real life, as determined in experiment.

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 9, 9:53 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The water is stationary relative to the embankment and the train is
> > > moving along under the water and not affecting the water. Pebbles are
> > > dropped at A/A' and B/B'. The wave from B/B' travels from B to M'. The
> > > waves from A and B and reach M simultaneously. The wave from A reaches
> > > M'.
>
> > And notice that the waves from A and B do not arrive at M' at the same
> > time.
>
> Yes, because the water is stationary relative to the embankment. In
> this scenario, the embankment is the preferred frame.
>
> For Einstein's train thought experiment to be truly relative, there
> can be no preferred frame.
>
> Therefore, the water must be stationary relative to the embankment in
> the embankment frame of reference and stationary relative to the train
> in the train reference frame.
>
> In this scenario, my animation holds in the light from A and B reaches
> M and the light from A' and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
>

> > > The water is stationary relative to the train. Pebbles are dropped at
> > > A/A' and B/B'. The wave from A' reaches M. The waves from A' and B'
> > > reach M' simultaneously. The wave from B' reaches M. A and B are
> > > irrelevant in this scenario.
>
> > OK, but there are really only two lightning strikes, and the water
> > doesn't really have time to switch from being stationary relative to
> > the embankment to being stationary relative to the train.
>
> The water doesn't have to switch. The water is stationary relative to
> the embankment in the embankment frame of reference and the water is
> stationary relative to the train in the train frame of reference.
>
> There is a single lightning strike at A/A' but A in on the embankment
> and A' is on the train. Likewise with the lightning strike at B/B'.
>
> > Einstein's gedanken is about ONE pair of events (the lightning
> > strikes) and what happens to the light as observed by M and M' for
> > that ONE case, not two cases.
>
> That is why I am saying Einstein is incorrect. He is trying to have it
> both ways. He wants to have a single lightning strike in two reference
> frames where the reference frames are not equal.
>
> If his train thought experiment was correct with equal reference
> frames, the light from the lightning strikes at A and B would reach M
> and the light from the lightning strikes at A' and B' would reach M'
> simultaneously:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWTaXMElUk

I think we can agree on the following:

Pebbles are dropped at A, A', B, and B' simultaneously as determined
by observers. The water on the embankment is stationary relative to
the embankment in the embankment frame of reference. The water on the
train is stationary relative to the train in the train frame of
reference.

If the waves from A and B reach M simultaneously, then the waves from
A' and B' reach M' simultaneously. The waves from A and B reach M and
the waves from A' and B' reach M' at the same time.

If instead of pebbles being dropped into the water, we now have
flashes occur at A, A', B, and B' simultaneously as determined by
observers, then due to the results of experiments with water and light
performed by Fizeau and others, then if the light from A and B reaches
M simultaneously then the light from A' and B' reaches M'
simultaneously and the light from A and B reaches M and the light from
A' and B' reaches M' at the same time.

Now, instead of water being stationary relative to the embankment in
the embankment frame of reference and water being stationary relative
to the train in the train frame of reference, we have aether
stationary relative to the embankment in the embankment frame of
reference and aether stationary relative to the train in the train
frame of reference, the results for simultaneously flashes of light at
A, A', B, and B' will be the same in aether as described above for
flashes in water.

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 9, 10:52 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 8:53 am, mpc755 <mpc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > And notice that the waves from A and B do not arrive at M' at the same
> > > time.
>
> > Yes, because the water is stationary relative to the embankment. In
> > this scenario, the embankment is the preferred frame.
>
> > For Einstein's train thought experiment to be truly relative, there
> > can be no preferred frame.
>
> > Therefore, the water must be stationary relative to the embankment in
> > the embankment frame of reference and stationary relative to the train
> > in the train reference frame.
>
> Yes! And notice that, because the train cars are open, flatbed cars,
> you have to satisfy both criteria at the same time!
>
> Here's where the fun starts. So if there is an aether (or water as you
> want to analogize), it has to be stationary with respect to the
> embankment AND to the train, at the same time. Not different
> scenarios. At the same time.
>

> > In this scenario, my animation holds in the light from A and B reaches
> > M and the light from A' and B' reaches M' simultaneously.
>
> No, certainly not. Because it's the same medium.
> The embankment observer notes that the light from A and B reaches M'
> at different times.

Yes, the light from A and B reaches M' at different times, but the
light from A' and B' reaches M' simultaneously.

> The train observer has to agree with that.

Yes, the train observer agrees the light from A and B reaches him at
different times, but the light from A' and B' reaches him
simultaneously.

> Nature doesn't produce two
> different measurable outcomes at the same time. There is only one.
> Either the light arrives at the same time at M' or it doesn't. The
> embankment observer and the train observer have to agree which one of
> those two it was.
>
> It appears that you are having a slow time getting a grip on what the
> Einstein gedanken really says.

> > > OK, but there are really only two lightning strikes, and the water
> > > doesn't really have time to switch from being stationary relative to
> > > the embankment to being stationary relative to the train.
>
> > The water doesn't have to switch. The water is stationary relative to
> > the embankment in the embankment frame of reference and the water is
> > stationary relative to the train in the train frame of reference.
>
> But these aren't two different sequences of events. It's the same
> train, the same two lightning strikes, and there is only one pool of
> water surrounding the embankment and the open train cars. So you tell
> me, how can the water be stationary relative to the train AND
> stationary relative to the embankment?

It's the same two lightning strikes, but it is occurring at A on the
embankment and A' on the train.

You can have a bucket of water that is stationary on the embankment
and a bucket of water that is stationary on the train.

From: glird on
On Oct 8, 12:49 pm, mpc755 wrote:

< If the aether is stationary relative to the
embankment and stationary relative to the train, this is what will
occur in Einstein's train thought experiment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWTaXMElUk >

Your illustration doesn't fit the above conditions, which require
the train to be stationary wrt the embankment. (In the demo, the train
- and its aether - are moving wrt to the track and its aether. Since
there is only one material medium in otherwise empty space, the demo
contradicts reality.)

glird

From: mpc755 on
On Oct 9, 11:10 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 12:49 pm, mpc755 wrote:
>
> < If the aether is stationary relative to the
> embankment and stationary relative to the train, this is what will
> occur in Einstein's train thought experiment:
>  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyWTaXMElUk >
>
>   Your illustration doesn't fit the above conditions, which require
> the train to be stationary wrt the embankment. (In the demo, the train
> - and its aether - are moving wrt to the track and its aether.  Since
> there is only one material medium in otherwise empty space, the demo
> contradicts reality.)
>
> glird

There is only one material medium in otherwise empty space, but you
are placing unnecessary and incorrect assumptions on it to think it
cannot behave as all other mediums do. Any medium on the train moves
with the train. Aether is no different.