From: mjt on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 00:32:12 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> I have noticed that when I am running `gkrellm`
> I have an extremely sluggish X.

Have you tried "conky"?

Here's some screenshots with related ".conkyrc" files:
http://conky.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

It's in the Main (Contrib) repo.

--
Zounds! I was never so bethumped with words
since I first called my brother's father dad.

From: mjt on
On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:35:57 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> > Have you tried "conky"?
>
> Yes. But that does not solve the issue with gkrellm and NVidea.

Understood. I was thinking from the perspective of,
"use another system monitor" :)

--
Critic, n.:
A person who boasts himself hard to please because

From: Dennis Golden on
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:25:41 +0200, houghi wrote:

> fabrice wrote:
>> context: gkrellm running, with cpu temp AND gpu temp displayed in
>> gkrellm; not heavy workload (web browsing, dolphin opened, very low
>> load) problem: mouse hang for a few seconds (frozen desktop) then all
>> is back as normal
>
> No workload with me either. At least nothing that should slow it down.
>
>> what I've done:
>> 1) installed kernel-default instead of kernel-desktop; I can't confirm
>> any improvement, even if I "feel" it's better (need more systematic
>> investigations)
>> 2) in gkrellm: unchecked "gpu temp"; I "feel" it's better, but as I'm
>> switching from 11.2 to 11.3 and back, I have not investigated enough
>> under 11.3
>
> I have tried to remove everything in gkrellm and then added things. It
> seems the more you add, the more sluggish it becomes. So it is not only
> one thing. As I have a quadcore, only one CPU will go to 100%, so on CLI
> I can still use the other three without any problem.

Has anyone made any progress on this? I'm having the same problem and I'm
tired of switching back and forth between 11.2 and 11.3. I uninstalled
the xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau package and it seamed to be okay for a
while, but next day the same thing.

I came back to 11.3 last night and ran glxgears overnight and it was
still okay this morning. Now it's doing the same thing again. Very
distracting.

One more thing, I did add nomodeset to the kernel line in menu.lst and it
doesn't seam to have made any difference.

TIA,

Dennis
--
Dennis Golden
Golden Consulting Services
From: Malcolm on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 19:39:33 GMT
Dennis Golden <dgolden(a)golden-consulting.invalid> wrote:

> Has anyone made any progress on this? I'm having the same problem and
> I'm tired of switching back and forth between 11.2 and 11.3. I
> uninstalled the xorg-x11-driver-video-nouveau package and it seamed
> to be okay for a while, but next day the same thing.
>
> I came back to 11.3 last night and ran glxgears overnight and it was
> still okay this morning. Now it's doing the same thing again. Very
> distracting.
>
> One more thing, I did add nomodeset to the kernel line in menu.lst
> and it doesn't seam to have made any difference.
>
> TIA,
>
> Dennis
Have you read this?
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/unreviewed-how-faq/443104-nvidia-driver-via-repo-11-3-guide.html

nomodeset is for installing the proprietary driver.

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default

From: Malcolm on

> Filed a bugreport at NVidia, but no idea what they are doing over
> there or if they looked at it or what.
>

> houghi
Hi
This snippet was on the openSUSE-user mailing list, see #22;

<http://www{dot}nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=153577&page=2>

[eternal news says the link is spam, so have munged]

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.34-12-default
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 256.44

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: NVIDIA repo for 11.3 is up
Next: Aaarrgggghh Google images