From: Lem on
I'd appreciate any help in tracking this down, especially because,
apparently, this problem is not unique to me. I could upload the ppt to
Skydrive, but it's pretty big (11.4 MB).

The organization that supplied the CD with the Powerpoint presentation
including the following on its website. I tried the suggestion and it
didn't help, but the version numbers below suggest that you may be on to
something. The ppt file was created on 12/15/08 so it almost certainly
uses an old version of flash/shockwave/whatever. The current version of
the Flash activeX plugin is Flash10e.ocx
<quote>
> PowerPoint/Flash Problems
>
> If you have been trying to use PowerPoint for one of our courses or seminars and receive the error message "Some controls on this presentation can't be activated. They may not be registered on your computer.", try the following few steps from Microsoft Tech Services that should help resolve the problem:
>
> The error message you are seeing is usually related to a flash OCX file not being properly registered on your computer. You could try the following to resolve your issue:
>
> 1.
> Quit PowerPoint.
> 2.
> Run the following command (using Start -> in the start search box, type in the following command):
> regsvr32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx"
>
> Note that the exact path may vary and the command should be applied to any of the following files that exist in the noted directory:
>
> * flash.ocx
> * flash8.ocx
> * flash9.ocx
</quote>

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Steve Rindsberg on
Try this:

Start a new presentation
Press Alt+F11 to open the VBA editor
Insert a new module
Copy/Paste the code below into the module

Open your problem presentation
Press Ctrl+G if the IMMEDIATE window's not visible
Press F5 to run the code

Look in the immediate window for the results
You'll get a list of slide numbers and the "ProgID"
or Program ID of each OLE object on each slide in the pressie.

That may give you a hint as to which is causing the issue.

Sub ReportObjectProgIDs()
' Press Ctrl+G to open the IMMEDIATE window
' in the VBA editor
' Results will be displayed there

Dim oSl As Slide
Dim oSh As Shape

For Each oSl In ActivePresentation.Slides
For Each oSh In oSl.Shapes
If oSh.Type = msoLinkedOLEObject _
Or oSh.Type = msoEmbeddedOLEObject Then
Debug.Print oSl.SlideIndex & _
vbtab & oSh.OLEFormat.ProgID
End If
Next ' Shape
Next ' Slide

End Sub

==============================

From: Lem on
Something happened ... but it's not what we expected. This is the
complete output that appeared in the IMMEDIATE window:

26 Photoshop.Image.8
27 Photoshop.Image.8
27 Photoshop.Image.8

There are 42 slides in the problem presentation. I *think* that slides
26 and 27 are supposed to have some kind of "effect" that doesn't seem
to be working quite properly, but it's not the type of animation that I
originally was concerned with. Slide 9 is the first slide in the
presentation that has that type of "problem animation."

I modified your code a little to get some more info. For each shape in
Slide 9, I printed oSh.Name and oSh.Type. Here's the output, but I don't
know what to make of it:

Slide Index is 9
Shape Name is Slide Number Placeholder 5
Shape Type is 17
Shape Name is Object 10
Shape Type is 13
Shape Name is Rectangle 2
Shape Type is 14
Shape Name is Text Box 8
Shape Type is 17
Shape Name is Line 9
Shape Type is 9
Shape Name is ShockwaveFlash1
Shape Type is 12

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Lem on
Here's some more information.

First, if I View > Toolbars > Control Toolbox and then click on the
"More Controls" button, both "Shockwave Active X Control" and "Shockwave
Flash Object" are listed.

Second, when I right click on the area of the slide that has what is
supposed to be the animation and select "Properties," the properties
window that pops up is entirely empty. There also is an entry in that
context menu named "Shockwave Flash Object Object". That leads to a
submenu with two entries, "Edit" (which is active) and "Convert" (which
is greyed out). Clicking on "Edit" results in the error message "An
error occurred during creation of an ActiveX control."

It seems as if the author of this presentation has been a bit too
tricky. A person connected with the author told me that there should
have been a *.mwv file or files (which he said was "wave files")
associated with the presentation. He said that "the PPT goes out and
looks for the mwv file so if they are in different locations (files)
they can not connect." There was no such mwv file on the CD that I was
given; I'm looking for it. Is it possible that the Flash movie is not
embedded in the presentation but somehow linked to an external file?
Shouldn't I at least be able to see the reference to such a file?

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Steve Rindsberg on
My mistake ... I forgot that inserted flash objects are OLE Controls.

This might help a bit more:

Sub ReportObjectProgIDs()
' Press Ctrl+G to open the IMMEDIATE window
' in the VBA editor
' Results will be displayed there

Dim oSl As Slide
Dim oSh As Shape

For Each oSl In ActivePresentation.Slides
For Each oSh In oSl.Shapes
If oSh.Type = msoLinkedOLEObject _
Or oSh.Type = msoEmbeddedOLEObject Then
Debug.Print oSl.SlideIndex & _
vbTab & oSh.OLEFormat.ProgID
End If
If oSh.Type = msoOLEControlObject Then
Debug.Print oSl.SlideIndex & _
vbTab & oSh.Name & _
vbTab & oSh.OLEFormat.Object.Movie & _
vbTab & oSh.OLEFormat.Object.MovieData
End If
Next ' Shape
Next ' Slide

End Sub

If you rightclick on the flash object and choose Properties you'll get a list of some
of the other stuff you can look at by tacking their names onto:

oSh.OLEFormat.Objext.

I don't see anything that gives the required/expected Shockwave object version though.