From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- Microsoft Partner
- @hotmail.com
~~~~~~~~~~"share the nirvana" - dbZen

From: Buffalo on

Al Campagna wrote:
> I noticed that while watching a streaming movie, that every half
> hour, the movie
> stutters, and the audio gets out of synch with the video.
>
> This happens at 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, etc... on every half hour.
>
> This seems to be some program, is running in the background every
> half hour, and uses enough system resources to cause the video to
> stutter.
>
> I do have virus updates and some backup routines, but nothing that I
> would have
> requested to run every half hour.
>
> Is there some tool, or utility, I can use to try to find out what is
> running at those times? Something like a log of all system events?
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Al Campagna

If it does so like you say, why not just be in Task Manager just before it
happens and see what is suddenly using the cpu?
Buffalo

From: Al Campagna on
Thanks everyone for your assistance...
Tried ProcExplorer (which is pretty neat), but it didn't catch anything,
at failure time.

First, I noticed that 2 video sites now did the same thing, so I
left the Web and the sites out of the problem for now.
Other than AVG anti virus, and SyGate firewall, I have three other apps
that run all the time.
Mail Washer (anti-spam), Phone Tray, and Kalender, which I've used for
some years.
With all 3 closed... no hesitation every � hour!
Step by step... it finally came down to Mail Washer.
It checks mail every 5 minutes, but it's doing something else evry 30
minutes, and I'll
be darned if I can find anything in the configuration/preferences that would
account for
that time period.

I'll probably give Mail Washer Support a go, but I'm certain it's the
culprit.

Can't say what the solution is, but... thanks everyone for your help!
--
Al Campagna
Microsoft Access MVP 2007-2009

From: Al Campagna on
Agreed...
See my last post as to how I hunted done the culprit.
My MailWasher spam program.
Process of elimination, as you say...
Thanks,
Al

From: Unknown on
Great process of elimination but, why on earth do you use 'mail washer'?