From: Bruce. on
"Don in San Antonio" <don7(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in message
No luck. The next download from the FI downloaded the entire Splash=c:
\... line to my Quicken.ini file. Don

Oh well. I'll be interested to hear what they say then. Mine may get
overwritten again. I'm not sure when mine happened. as I've only been
using Quicken for 1-2 weeks. In my case it might have happened during the
initial signup, rather than every online session.

The other thing I was thinking of trying was adding a read only attribute to
the ini file to prevent it from being written, but I have no idea what the
impact on Quicken might be.

Bruce.

From: Hank Arnold on
On 2/1/2010 7:46 PM, Don in San Antonio wrote:
> I'm getting a new splash screen when Quicken 2010 opens. It comes
> from a financial institution that will go unnamed for now. I've tried
> renaming he splash.bmp file to xsplash.bmp, but every time I update
> transactions, it downloads a new copy called splash.bmp. I tried
> editing the quicken.ini file but the FI keeps modifying the ini file.
> I'd like to get back to the default Quicken 2010 splash screen. How
> do I modify the Quicken.ini to make this happen? I've done a search
> of my hard drive and can't find the Quicken 2010 bmp file. Does it
> exist, or is there a null value to put into the ini file? Any help
> would be appreciated. This shouldn't be that hard. Below is a
> extract of the Quicken.ini file in case it sheds more light on the
> situation. TIA Don
>
> [MarketingMessages]
> SplashExpired=0
> Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
> \Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
> BID=823

I guess I don't see the big deal... It's only on the screen for a couple
of seconds... Hardly seems worth the effort....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
From: Don in San Antonio on
On Feb 1, 8:58 pm, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
> "Don in San Antonio" <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in messagenews:cf450058-35db-4cce-95cf-c6fcf901f97c(a)3g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> No luck.  The next download from the FI downloaded the entire Splash=c:
> \... line to my Quicken.ini file.   Don
>
> Oh well.  I'll be interested to hear what they say then.  Mine may get
> overwritten again.  I'm not sure when mine happened.  as I've only been
> using Quicken for 1-2 weeks.  In my case it might have happened during the
> initial signup, rather than every online session.
>
> The other thing I was thinking of trying was adding a read only attribute to
> the ini file to prevent it from being written, but I have no idea what the
> impact on Quicken might be.
>
> Bruce.

Here's what I found out. The defalt splash file is located in the
Quicken program directory and is named splash.png. The default is
overridden whenever a FI decides to send you a new splash file. At
the same time the FI sends you a new splash.bmp file, the your
quicken.ini file is updated with the following.

[MarketingMessages]
SplashExpired=0
Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
\Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
BID=823

Commenting out the splash.bmp line with ;Splash= just results in a new
line being created the next time you update the FI using direct
connect. And renaming the splash.bmp file to something like
xsplash.bmp just results in a new copy of splash.bmp being downloaded
with the next FI update. I was able to fix my system by replacing the
FI downloaded splash.bmp file with a copy of splash.png that had been
renamed to splash.bmp.

Technically this is not a fix, but instead a work around. I spent
almost 3 hours in a chat with Quicken Support that when past
midnight. I'm working on my obsessive compulsive behavior, but at my
age it's not likely that I will succeed.
From: Andrew on
Don in San Antonio wrote:
> On Feb 1, 8:58 pm, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
>> "Don in San Antonio" <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:cf450058-35db-4cce-95cf-c6fcf901f97c(a)3g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
>> No luck. The next download from the FI downloaded the entire
>> Splash=c: \... line to my Quicken.ini file. Don
>>
>> Oh well. I'll be interested to hear what they say then. Mine may get
>> overwritten again. I'm not sure when mine happened. as I've only been
>> using Quicken for 1-2 weeks. In my case it might have happened
>> during the
>> initial signup, rather than every online session.
>>
>> The other thing I was thinking of trying was adding a read only
>> attribute to
>> the ini file to prevent it from being written, but I have no idea
>> what the
>> impact on Quicken might be.
>>
>> Bruce.
>
> Here's what I found out. The defalt splash file is located in the
> Quicken program directory and is named splash.png. The default is
> overridden whenever a FI decides to send you a new splash file. At
> the same time the FI sends you a new splash.bmp file, the your
> quicken.ini file is updated with the following.
>
> [MarketingMessages]
> SplashExpired=0
> Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
> \Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
> BID=823
>
> Commenting out the splash.bmp line with ;Splash= just results in a new
> line being created the next time you update the FI using direct
> connect. And renaming the splash.bmp file to something like
> xsplash.bmp just results in a new copy of splash.bmp being downloaded
> with the next FI update. I was able to fix my system by replacing the
> FI downloaded splash.bmp file with a copy of splash.png that had been
> renamed to splash.bmp.
>
> Technically this is not a fix, but instead a work around. I spent
> almost 3 hours in a chat with Quicken Support that when past
> midnight. I'm working on my obsessive compulsive behavior, but at my
> age it's not likely that I will succeed.

Why not simply close your eyes for 2 or 3 seconds after you start up
Quicken? Seems like a much easier "bypass" to avoid seeing the splash
screen.

Regards -

- Andrew

From: Bruce. on
On Feb 1, 8:58 pm, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
> "Don in San Antonio" <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in
> messagenews:cf450058-35db-4cce-95cf-c6fcf901f97c(a)3g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> I was able to fix my system by replacing the
> FI downloaded splash.bmp file with a copy of splash.png that had been
> renamed to splash.bmp.

Thanks Don. I will try that here.

Bruce.