From: Bruce. on
"Don in San Antonio" <don7(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in message

BTW, the complete list of BMP files that are downloaded from Chase (all
bearing the Chase logo):

BIGLOGO.BMP
COLLPLAN.BMP
INFIMG01.BMP
INVSPLAN.BMP
LOANPLAN.BMP
OCBANNER.BMP
RECONCIL.BMP
REFIPLAN.BMP
REGLOGO.BMP
RETIPLAN.BMP
SPLASH.BMP

The ini only refers to SPLASH.BMP but I'm assuming the other ones get loaded
in other places in the program.

Bruce.

From: John Pollard on
Don in San Antonio wrote:

> The defalt splash file is located in the
> Quicken program directory and is named splash.png.

> The default is overridden whenever a FI
> decides to send you a new splash file.

I don't think an fi just "decides" to send you a new splash file. I
believe that the fi pays Intuit for the priveledge of having their name
appear in the Quicken splash screen; and that it is Intuit that implements
the downloading of the paid-for splash - though Intuit may get the splash
file from the financial institution.

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Don in San Antonio on
On Feb 3, 2:22 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Don in San Antonio wrote:
>
> > The defalt splash file is located in the
> > Quicken program directory and is named splash.png.
> > The default is overridden whenever a FI
> > decides to send you a new splash file.
>
> I don't think an fi just "decides" to send you a new splash file. I
> believe that the fi pays Intuit for the priveledge of having their name
> appear in the Quicken splash screen; and that it is Intuit that implements
> the downloading of the paid-for splash - though Intuit may get the splash
> file from the financial institution.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

Could be there's an arrangement between Intuit and the FI. However,
it's interesting that the splash.bmp that came from my FI is outdated
and shows Quicken Premier 2008. It shows the FI logo on the left side
and Quicken 2008 on the right.

I also download from two other FIs and neither one sends me a new
splash or causes the quicken.ini file to be modified, could be they
didn't pay - pure speculation. I wonder what would happen if all
three FI's had paid to have their splash appear. Would it be first
come first served, or would it rotate giving each one equal time.

I should also add that the guys at Quicken Support never mentioned
anything about FI rights to display a new splash. They did say that
Splash.png was the default. They also did not know how to comment out
the Marketing section. Here's an interesting thing - navigate to
Tools - Online Center then press ctrl-F3 and click Contact Info on the
current tool bar. The FI in question shows that it is up to date.
From: Don in San Antonio on
On Feb 3, 10:07 am, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
> "Don in San Antonio" <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in messagenews:34d88322-388a-44ba-8559-8f8e729ed1e0(a)b10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...
>
> BTW, the complete list of BMP files that are downloaded from Chase (all
> bearing the Chase logo):
>
>  BIGLOGO.BMP
>  COLLPLAN.BMP
>  INFIMG01.BMP
>  INVSPLAN.BMP
>  LOANPLAN.BMP
>  OCBANNER.BMP
>  RECONCIL.BMP
>  REFIPLAN.BMP
>  REGLOGO.BMP
>  RETIPLAN.BMP
>  SPLASH.BMP
>
> The ini only refers to SPLASH.BMP but I'm assuming the other ones get loaded
> in other places in the program.
>
> Bruce.

wow! I feel lucky that I only received one. I can understand
advertisements in free software, but I paid for my Quicken program.
Perhaps a complaint to Chase would yield an answer. I would let them
know that I don't appreciate the intrusion.
From: Don in San Antonio on
On Feb 3, 6:59 am, "Andrew" <and...(a)jkl.com> wrote:
> Don in San Antonio wrote:
>

> > On Feb 1, 8:58 pm, "Bruce." <no...(a)example.net> wrote:
> >> "Don in San Antonio" <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:cf450058-35db-4cce-95cf-c6fcf901f97c(a)3g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> >> No luck. The next download from the FI downloaded the entire
> >> Splash=c: \... line to my Quicken.ini file. Don
>
> >> Oh well. I'll be interested to hear what they say then. Mine may get
> >> overwritten again. I'm not sure when mine happened. as I've only been
> >> using Quicken for 1-2 weeks. In my case it might have happened
> >> during the
> >> initial signup, rather than every online session.
>
> >> The other thing I was thinking of trying was adding a read only
> >> attribute to
> >> the ini file to prevent it from being written, but I have no idea
> >> what the
> >> impact on Quicken might be.
>
> >> Bruce.
>
> > Here's what I found out.  The defalt splash file is located in the
> > Quicken program directory and is named splash.png.  The default is
> > overridden whenever a FI decides to send you a new splash file.  At
> > the same time the FI sends you a new splash.bmp file, the your
> > quicken.ini file is updated with the following.
>
> > [MarketingMessages]
> > SplashExpired=0
> > Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
> > \Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
> > BID=823
>
> > Commenting out the splash.bmp line with ;Splash= just results in a new
> > line being created the next time you update the FI using direct
> > connect.  And renaming the splash.bmp file to something like
> > xsplash.bmp just results in a new copy of splash.bmp being downloaded
> > with the next FI update.  I was able to fix my system by replacing the
> > FI downloaded splash.bmp file with a copy of splash.png that had been
> > renamed to splash.bmp.
>
> > Technically this is not a fix, but instead a work around.  I spent
> > almost 3 hours in a chat with Quicken Support that when past
> > midnight.  I'm working on my obsessive compulsive behavior, but at my
> > age it's not likely that I will succeed.
>
> Why not simply close your eyes for 2 or 3 seconds after you start up
> Quicken?  Seems like a much easier "bypass" to avoid seeing the splash
> screen.

> Regards -
>
> - Andrew- Hide quoted text -

Andrew - it's like a pimple on your face. At first it's not much, but
once you squeeze it, it becomes a bigger problem. Unless of course
the pimple pops which I guess would be equivalent to commenting out
the new splash screen.