From: Don in San Antonio on
On Feb 2, 3:59 am, Hank Arnold <rasi...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/2010 7:46 PM, Don in San Antonio wrote:
>

> > I'm getting a new splash screen when Quicken 2010 opens.  It comes
> > from a financial institution that will go unnamed for now.  I've tried
> > renaming he splash.bmp file to xsplash.bmp, but every time I update
> > transactions, it downloads a new copy called splash.bmp.  I tried
> > editing the quicken.ini file but the FI keeps modifying the ini file.
> > I'd like to get back to the default Quicken 2010 splash screen.  How
> > do I modify the Quicken.ini to make this happen?  I've done a search
> > of my hard drive and can't find the Quicken 2010 bmp file.  Does it
> > exist, or is there a null value to put into the ini file?  Any help
> > would be appreciated.  This shouldn't be that hard.  Below is a
> > extract of the Quicken.ini file in case it sheds more light on the
> > situation.  TIA Don
>
> > [MarketingMessages]
> > SplashExpired=0
> > Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
> > \Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
> > BID=823
>
> I guess I don't see the big deal... It's only on the screen for a couple
> of seconds... Hardly seems worth the effort....
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Serviceshttp://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/- Hide quoted text -

yea guess you're right. At first I tried to come up with a reason to
accept the change. But then I thought - I paid for this program and
this is an unwelcome intrusion. Why should I have to look at an
advertisement from my FI. I didn't see any notice that asked me
accept a new Splash.bmp as part of setting up direct connect. I still
like to think of my computer as a "personal computer" and I like to be
in control. I guess I was just a little offended that the FI thought
I should be reminded of them each time I started Quicken. You're
right about one thing - I need something more important to be
concerned about. Regards Don
From: Mikel Sunova on

"Don in San Antonio" <don7(a)satx.rr.com> wrote in message
On Feb 2, 3:59 am, Hank Arnold <rasi...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/2010 7:46 PM, Don in San Antonio wrote:
>

> > I'm getting a new splash screen when Quicken 2010 opens. It comes
> > from a financial institution that will go unnamed for now. I've tried
> > renaming he splash.bmp file to xsplash.bmp, but every time I update
> > transactions, it downloads a new copy called splash.bmp. I tried
> > editing the quicken.ini file but the FI keeps modifying the ini file.
> > I'd like to get back to the default Quicken 2010 splash screen. How
> > do I modify the Quicken.ini to make this happen? I've done a search
> > of my hard drive and can't find the Quicken 2010 bmp file. Does it
> > exist, or is there a null value to put into the ini file? Any help
> > would be appreciated. This shouldn't be that hard. Below is a
> > extract of the Quicken.ini file in case it sheds more light on the
> > situation. TIA Don
>
> > [MarketingMessages]
> > SplashExpired=0
> > Splash=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data
> > \Intuit\Quicken\00823\SPLASH.BMP
> > BID=823
>
> I guess I don't see the big deal... It's only on the screen for a couple
> of seconds... Hardly seems worth the effort....
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory
> Serviceshttp://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/- Hide quoted
> text -

yea guess you're right. At first I tried to come up with a reason to
accept the change. But then I thought - I paid for this program and
this is an unwelcome intrusion. Why should I have to look at an
advertisement from my FI. I didn't see any notice that asked me
accept a new Splash.bmp as part of setting up direct connect. I still
like to think of my computer as a "personal computer" and I like to be
in control. I guess I was just a little offended that the FI thought
I should be reminded of them each time I started Quicken. You're
right about one thing

> ...- I need something more important to be concerned about.

I understand completely. It feels invasive and becomes a matter of
principle. Perhaps you are like me in that standing on principle can
sometimes take me too far, becoming counter productive. That does not seem
to be the result in this case, however, and your stand has resulted in a
solution. You certainly have my gratitude. I have printed your 'workaround'
to PDF to employ when I upgrade from QD2008 to QD2010, which will be in the
next week when my copy arrives (bought off of ebay...$38!).

Thanks for your efforts and the workaround!

Mikel