From: Seth Parker on
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 03:30:11 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Freeman
<Gordon(a)freeman.invalid> wrote:

>Peabody <waybackNO784SPAM44(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> > If this is an important project, I highly stress that
>> > you obtain any editor that has Lanczos-8 (or lesser
>> > Lanczos-X versions) as a resampling algorithm in its options.
>>
>> Well how about Irfanview? Will it straighten and
>> resample/resize properly? Or maybe XnView or Faststone?
>
>Irfanview defaults to Lanczos for resizing (you can also choose a method in
>the resize dialogue), I think it probably also uses that for rotations too.
>It also has a plugin to do lossless cropping & 90-degree rotations.
>
>IME Lanczos only makes a noticable difference when doing extreme
>enlargements or multiple rotations. For a one-off resize of up to 2x, or a
>size reduction of up to 50%, there is little to choose from between
>resampling methods: I find that I have to zoom in to 300% magnification to
>distinguish between them. As a result, when I'm doing something processor-
>intensive like resizing videos, I just use plain bilinear these days.

You must not be looking at your images very closely, your display is
lacking, your eyesight is lacking, or your Lanczos algorithm is one of the
lower-level "fast" versions that the more simple editors implement as their
"Lanczos" option. (Not all Lanczos are equal.) A simple one-step downsize,
even when using the easier-for-bicubic 1/2, 1/4th, or 1/8th downsize
dimensions, is quite revealing when comparing bicubic or Lanczos-8 on the
same image. The inadequacy of bicubic becomes blatantly obvious when you
are concerned with preserving image detail.

If your editor does not have Lanczos-8 in it then don't discount that as
being the best algorithm possible for even the most simple of image
manipulations just because you've never seen the huge difference between
that and rudimentary bicubic.
From: John Navas on
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:31:52 -0400, "Tim Conway"
<tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in
<hbnnjk$n2j$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>:

>try PTLens stand alone software. Download the trial version and
>use it on 10 images free. If you like it, pay $25.
>
>http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/

Or Photoshop Elements, which gives you that and much more, while still
being pretty affordable.

--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Bob Larter on
Mike Russell wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:05:26 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:
>>> Thanks, just my contribution to shine a light on those with mental
>>> health issues.
>> All righty, then. Yes, he's reached foam again.
>>
>> BUT:
>> How 'bout all of us taking a breather on this toad? By not replying to
>> any of his posts; by not talking any more about him- for one month.
>> You, me, Lionel, Mike, etc. all of us. And when he socks himself, or an
>> innocent party replies, we still keep mum.
>
> This is an admirable goal that I will try to adhere to. The problem I have
> is with net bullying. Staying quiet while watching one of these guys bully
> a newbie is often more than I can put up with, and it seems to have gotten
> worse in the last several months.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

From: Bob Larter on
YAY! wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 09:05:26 -0700, John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Savageduck wrote:
>>> Thanks, just my contribution to shine a light on those with mental
>>> health issues.
>> All righty, then. Yes, he's reached foam again.
>>
>> BUT:
>> How 'bout all of us taking a breather on this toad? By not replying to
>> any of his posts; by not talking any more about him- for one month.
>> You, me, Lionel, Mike, etc. all of us. And when he socks himself, or an
>> innocent party replies, we still keep mum.
>
> At long last, I will no longer have to be dragged into their
> pretend-photographer trolls' world, by having to incessantly correct their
> ignorant and inexperienced spewage of misinformation. I'll be able to state
> the facts without wasting my time refuting their invented nonsense about
> cameras and photography.
>
> Nice of you to have a list of all your fellow resident-trolls' names
> though, however you left off about 7 other well known resident-trolls. That
> short list should however help naive newcomers weed out some of you more
> easily.
>
> Did you not know that Bob Larter, a.k.a. real name Lionel Lauer

Son, the guys here know me from years back. This isn't news to them.

From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 05:05:31 -0500, Troll Killer wrote:

> LOL!!!!!!! So says the biggest and most immature bully and troll of them
> all. That's rich. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Everyone need only look to the newsgroup "alt.kook.lionel-lauer" (Bob
> Larter's legal name) to know he's well known for this.
>
> LOL!!!!

You are killing your own life by taunting people this way.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last