From: Whiskers on
On 2010-04-06, Christopher Choi <chutsu(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 18:17:38 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

[...]

>> Woo, perfect, thanks for that. Wish I'd thought of Googling :(
>
> Its like the first thing any true geek would do...

There are geeks who still use Google?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Tony van der Hoff may or may not have written...

> Classic FM <http://www.classicfm.co.uk/> has a streaming channel, which
> works fine under 'doze.

> Under Ubuntu 9.10, and under Debian Lenny, using Firefox, The "Listen
> Now" button produces the following pop-up:
> <-------------------------
> From what we can tell, you are accessing our player using a computer
> that is running a version of Linux. [...]

Via a "not in the UK" page here, which I found a bit odd.

> If you already have a compatible player installed, click here to access
> the audio / video you've requested.
> --------------------------->

> I have MPlayer installed, but clicking on the "click here" link does
> nothing.

You were missing a browser plugin.

> Has anyone managed to listen to Classic FM under Linux? How?

Working fine here (xine-plugin).

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

It is bad luck to be superstitious.
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:25:21 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> If Google snoops, then Yahoo positively ogles. Yuk!

Fair comment: I don't know a lot about Yahoo except an an ignorant,
uncaring spam source - no different in that respect than gmail,
live.space or hotmail.

I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: John Taylor on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:55:24 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:25:21 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
>> If Google snoops, then Yahoo positively ogles. Yuk!
>>
> Fair comment: I don't know a lot about Yahoo except an an ignorant,
> uncaring spam source - no different in that respect than gmail,
> live.space or hotmail.
>
> I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.

What about Scroogle ?
It uses google, but strips out the adverts and anonymises you.
You can connect via an SSL connection, and use post requests - so no-one
can oggle you.

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:03:22 +0000, John Taylor wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:55:24 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:25:21 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>>
>>> If Google snoops, then Yahoo positively ogles. Yuk!
>>>
>> Fair comment: I don't know a lot about Yahoo except an an ignorant,
>> uncaring spam source - no different in that respect than gmail,
>> live.space or hotmail.
>>
>> I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.
>
> What about Scroogle ?
> It uses google, but strips out the adverts and anonymises you. You can
> connect via an SSL connection, and use post requests - so no-one can
> oggle you.

Thats a possibility, but doesn't it still leave the head of the list
cluttered with semi-relevant price comparison sites and all Google's paid-
for hits?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK