From: Tony Houghton on
In <hpinvc$6or$1(a)localhost.localdomain>,
Martin Gregorie <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:25:21 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>
>> If Google snoops, then Yahoo positively ogles. Yuk!
>>
> Fair comment: I don't know a lot about Yahoo except an an ignorant,
> uncaring spam source - no different in that respect than gmail,
> live.space or hotmail.
>
> I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.

I hardly use it myself, but might Bing be worth considering? ISTR
hearing that despite being run by the evilest of evil empires, Bing is
actually better wrt privacy issues etc than Google.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: John Taylor on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:15:27 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:03:22 +0000, John Taylor wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 19:55:24 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>

>>> I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.
>>
>> What about Scroogle ?
>> It uses google, but strips out the adverts and anonymises you. You can
>> connect via an SSL connection, and use post requests - so no-one can
>> oggle you.
>
> Thats a possibility, but doesn't it still leave the head of the list
> cluttered with semi-relevant price comparison sites and all Google's
> paid- for hits?

Nope - you just get proper search results

From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:20:52 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:

> In <hpinvc$6or$1(a)localhost.localdomain>, Martin Gregorie
> <martin(a)address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:25:21 +0100, Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>>
>>> If Google snoops, then Yahoo positively ogles. Yuk!
>>>
>> Fair comment: I don't know a lot about Yahoo except an an ignorant,
>> uncaring spam source - no different in that respect than gmail,
>> live.space or hotmail.
>>
>> I'll try Ask unless anybody has a better suggestion.
>
> I hardly use it myself, but might Bing be worth considering? ISTR
> hearing that despite being run by the evilest of evil empires, Bing is
> actually better wrt privacy issues etc than Google.

That wouldn't be hard.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK