From: Ant on
On 8/6/2010 12:13 PM PT, Harry typed:

> http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/50-weirdest-usb-flash-drives-ever/
>
> I'm sure the Bowling Ball USB is a strong one, if you can attach
> your keys there.

LOL! We need an Ant Farm USB drive/hub with an Ant Farm case mod
(http://g4tv.com/videos/25720/Ant-Farm-Computer-Casing/ and
http://g4tv.com/articles/43745/Ant-Farm-Case-Mod/ ). [grin]
--
"..., you ready for a little dumpster diving?" "Um... okay." "You know I
don't mind getting my hands dirty." "I mean, maggots, wet trash, I am
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Thomas R. Kettler <tkettler(a)blownfuse.net> wrote:
> In article <TOKdneOHo5TKlsTRnZ2dnUVZ_h-dnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
[...]
>> > However this guy is also damaging the USB ports, not only the USB
>> > sticks. And they are typically far more expensive to replace.
>>
>> Good point. I will tell him that.

> I thought the same thing but did not know how much stress a USB port can
> handle. Does anyone have the specs?

The spec do specify materials, plating and the like, but
not maximum ratings. The plastic contact carrier inside
a standard USB connector is 1.84mm x 11.1mm "Thermoplastic
Insulator UL94-V0", which can be different materials and
does not require any glass-fiber strengthening. Also note
that this thing does not even need to break. A hairline-fracture
in a contact trace is quite enough. Standard wisdom would say
to not put more mechanical load on the connector than its
extraction force, which for USB is 10N (~1kG). Divide that
by the lever-type torque amplification represented by the
USB key.

Some quick measurements with my keys show an insertion depth
of 8mm and a key length of total 28mm to 64mm (there are
longer ones), this gives torque-amplification factors
of 2.5x ... 7x. So with a medium length USB key, a mechanical
load of 200g at its end would already be right at the maximum
for safe operation.

Surprisingly, a standard USB receptacle is only rated at 1500
insertion cycles, wereas a mini-USB has 5000 and micro-USB has
10000.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: GMAN on
In article <g7KdnYkov8AV6sDRnZ2dnUVZ_jednZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, Ant <philpi(a)earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>On 8/6/2010 12:13 PM PT, Harry typed:
>
>> http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/50-weirdest-usb-flash-drives-ever/
>>
>> I'm sure the Bowling Ball USB is a strong one, if you can attach
>> your keys there.
>
>LOL! We need an Ant Farm USB drive/hub with an Ant Farm case mod
>(http://g4tv.com/videos/25720/Ant-Farm-Computer-Casing/ and
>http://g4tv.com/articles/43745/Ant-Farm-Case-Mod/ ). [grin]
Actuall, ants do eat alot, and he wont have ants for long if he doesnt feed
them.