From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:41:15 -0400, BrownCoat
<BrownCoat.48n38y(a)invalid> wrote:

>At this point I am not trying to troubleshoot why an email is not going.
>I simply want to know how to tell which of the emails to manually
>delete with NDR so that the rest will go.

The details of the message will have the recipients listed. The
contents of the RCPT TO command that's rejected (assuming this is your
problem) will have the name of the recipient.

Knowing /why/ the queue is stalled would help, too. Is the connection
being dropped?

>In other words, an email is stuck, I right click the smtp connector,
>choose find messages. it finds the messages. I attached a screen
>capture, and this link is to a larger version of it
>http://tinypic.com/r/mvn66u/5 .
>
>I can look in event log and see what address is throwing the error.
>but how do I match it to one of those emails shown in the find so I can
>NDR it?

The aqadmcli tool may be able to help, too:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/Aqadmcli/aqadmcli.exe
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: BrownCoat on

I must not be explaining it well because we seem to be missing the
point. I know why the email is getting stuck in the queue. I know
which address it is failing on. However, when I do a find on the queue,
I find all 50 emails that are still hung. And There is no way I can
find to determine which one of those 50 in the queue is the one that I
have identified as having a problem so that I can NDR just that one
problem email. So, real life example, occuring right now.

I have 34 emails stuck in the queue. All are 1 email, sent out to
multiple people. The one that is a problem, is stuck because the
smarthost (time warner) cannot resolve the domain name (
adelphiabusiness.net ) . So, I know exactly which email I need to NDR.
BUT, when I right click on the queue, and find messages, there is
nothing in the find that identifies the exact individual message so I
can NDR it. It shows all 34 messages, with nothing which will let me
determine which one to right click on, and NDR.

So, that is my question, how do I know which one of those 34 identical
messages to NDR?

--
BrownCoat
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 09:38:54 -0400, BrownCoat
<BrownCoat.491wd7(a)invalid> wrote:

>I must not be explaining it well because we seem to be missing the
>point.

I agree. You're trying to address a symptom and not the underlying
casue of the problem.

>I know why the email is getting stuck in the queue.

Do you? Or do you know only that the message in the queue cannot be
delivered?

>I know
>which address it is failing on.

Good. So look at the SMTP protocol log and find out what happens when
your server tries to send that message. If you prefer, use a network
monitor instead of the protocol log.

>However, when I do a find on the queue,
>I find all 50 emails that are still hung. And There is no way I can
>find to determine which one of those 50 in the queue is the one that I
>have identified as having a problem so that I can NDR just that one
>problem email. So, real life example, occuring right now.
>
>I have 34 emails stuck in the queue. All are 1 email, sent out to
>multiple people. The one that is a problem, is stuck because the
>smarthost (time warner) cannot resolve the domain name (
>adelphiabusiness.net ) . So, I know exactly which email I need to NDR.
>BUT, when I right click on the queue, and find messages, there is
>nothing in the find that identifies the exact individual message so I
>can NDR it. It shows all 34 messages, with nothing which will let me
>determine which one to right click on, and NDR.

So . . . the problem is really with the smarthost, not Exchange.
There's no queue for the adelphiabusiness.net, is there?

You can open each of the 34 messages and check the recipient address.
Slow, but it'll work.

When you send an e-mail to an address in that domain, what is the
reaction of the smart host? Does it return a 5xx status to the RCPT TO
command, or does it drop the connection?

>So, that is my question, how do I know which one of those 34 identical
>messages to NDR?

Since you know the domain that's giving you grief, create another SMTP
Connector and set it up with an address space of adelphiabusiness.net
and "use DNS". When that's done, set the "ResetMessageStatus" registry
value to 1 and restart the SMTP service. The messages for the domains
in the "Address Space" tab will show up in the queues with the domain
name.

See this URL for the location of that registry value:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996897(EXCHG.80).aspx

If your smart host is dropping the connection when it encounters a
RCPT TO address it can't deal with you should find another, smarter,
smart host 'coz that one os broken and probably designed for home
users.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: BrownCoat on

Rich,

All I am asking is HOW to accomplish this statement you made

"You can open each of the 34 messages and check the recipient address.
Slow, but it'll work."

Open them, how? As I explained, using the find button does not tell me
which one is which. nor does double clicking it. Double clicking it
brings up the Message Properties box, which lists all 34 recipients in
the field "Recipients:" So, as far as I can see, there is not way to do
this, although it seems it should be a very simple process.

--
BrownCoat
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: BrownCoat on

If I am not making my self understood, if you are willing, I can open a
webinar and shoot you the link, and you can show me where to find this
step I am missing.

Thanks for your time.

--
BrownCoat