From: BrownCoat on

When an email is stuck because of a bad address, and there are numerous
recipients in the BCC field, how do I remove only the problem mail from
the queue?
I can identify which address is bad, however, 'finding' messages on a
queue shows all remaining recipients which are still not delivered, with
nothing that differentiates the stuck email from the good ones.

Exchange 2k3 / SP2

Thanks!

--
BrownCoat
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:22:05 -0400, BrownCoat
<BrownCoat.482xbm(a)invalid> wrote:

>When an email is stuck because of a bad address, and there are numerous
>recipients in the BCC field, how do I remove only the problem mail from
>the queue?
>I can identify which address is bad, however, 'finding' messages on a
>queue shows all remaining recipients which are still not delivered, with
>nothing that differentiates the stuck email from the good ones.

There's only one message, regardless of the number of recipients. SMTP
uses the RCPT TO command data to know the recipients. SMTP doesn't
look in the message headers to know who should receive the message.

How do you know there are /any/ recipients in the Bcc: header? That
header shouldn't be part of the message. If it were, there'd be no
difference between a Bcc: and a Cc:. Bcc: is supposed to hide the
recipients from the person reading the e-mail.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: BrownCoat on

I know because we are sending them out. So, if I send out an email with
5 people in the TO and address #3 is bad, the other 4 go, and I get an
NDR for #3. But, if I send the same out, only the addresses are in BCC,
#1 goes, #2 goes, #3 locks it up, and the additional addresses for that
email, and all other emails are now stuck in the queue until that one
NDRs. Shouldn't exchange deliver other emails and then try the failed
one again later?

--
BrownCoat
http://forums.slipstick.com

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:28:06 -0400, BrownCoat
<BrownCoat.48g4jy(a)invalid> wrote:

>I know because we are sending them out. So, if I send out an email with
>5 people in the TO and address #3 is bad, the other 4 go, and I get an
>NDR for #3. But, if I send the same out, only the addresses are in BCC,
>#1 goes, #2 goes, #3 locks it up, and the additional addresses for that
>email, and all other emails are now stuck in the queue until that one
>NDRs. Shouldn't exchange deliver other emails and then try the failed
>one again later?

That depends on how the receiving MTA deals with unknown addresses.
Some deal with them sensibly, by sending a 5xx status code, others
simply drop the connection. What does your SMTP log file tell you is
happening when that RCPT TO command is sent?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: BrownCoat on

At this point I am not trying to troubleshoot why an email is not going.
I simply want to know how to tell which of the emails to manually
delete with NDR so that the rest will go.

In other words, an email is stuck, I right click the smtp connector,
choose find messages. it finds the messages. I attached a screen
capture, and this link is to a larger version of it
http://tinypic.com/r/mvn66u/5 .

I can look in event log and see what address is throwing the error.
but how do I match it to one of those emails shown in the find so I can
NDR it?

thanks!

|Filename: SMTPIssuesSmaller.jpg |
|Download: http://forums.slipstick.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5|