From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 11:34:19 -0400, BrownCoat
<BrownCoat.4921oc(a)invalid> wrote:

>Rich,
>
>All I am asking is HOW to accomplish this statement you made
>
>"You can open each of the 34 messages and check the recipient address.
>Slow, but it'll work."
>
>Open them, how? As I explained, using the find button does not tell me
>which one is which. nor does double clicking it. Double clicking it
>brings up the Message Properties box, which lists all 34 recipients in
>the field "Recipients:" So, as far as I can see, there is not way to do
>this, although it seems it should be a very simple process.

Ahhh . . . so you don't have 34 messages. When you said "I have 34
emails stuck in the queue" it made it sound as if there were. What
you're saying now is that you have one message with 34 recipients?

If that's the case there's no way to remove one of those recipients
from the message. The problem, however, still remains that the smart
host is probably dropping the connection instead of sending a 550
status in response to a bad address.

A normal, well-behaved, would have accepted the valid addresses
(sending a 250 status) and rejected the invalid address (sending a 5xx
status). Exchange would have returned a NDR listing the addresses that
were not deliverable. If the receiving MTA is sending a 4XX status for
the incorrect addresses then Exchange will retry the message later --
but only sending to the addresses that received the 4XX status.

When you look at the message in the queue viewer you see all the
original recipients, not just those that have yet to be delivered.

So, what's your smart host doing? Is it dropping the connection or
sending a 4XX status for invalid addresses?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP