From: sali on
"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM> je
napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:IU.D20100126.T095724.P9759.Q0(a)J.de.Boyne.Pollard.localhost...

>> I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying file, at
>> large.
>>
>> For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>>
>> I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer
>> studies who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why

almost never used drag-n-drop, because of 'drop', specialy not when folder
structure is complex
while dragging, you may incidentaly release mouse button, and all you are
dragging will be droped somewhere in the middle.
copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than drag-n-drop
method, that 'copy/paste' in the case of files/folders is just gui
terminology. and if you mean 'copy/paste' as ctrl-c/ctrl-v, it is very fast,
as opposed to copy/paste from right-click menu, since it needs considerable
time to be built and displayed

From: Frank P. Westlake on
"sali" news:O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard"
>>> For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>
> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than
> drag-n-drop method ...

Compared with the command line it might use much more memory. I am not
certain, this is only observation. It seems that File Explorer first
makes a complete list of all PIDLs it will need to make the complete
copy, but with command line programs the files are processed as each
name is determined, then that memory is overwritten with the next name.

Frank

From: r_z_aret on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:46:38 +0800, "sl(a)my-rialto"
<ecp_gen(a)my-rialto.com> wrote:

>I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying file, at
>large.
>
>For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>
>I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer studies
>who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why clog the RAM
>with such data ?
>
>How do you copy , and why ?

xcopy in a DOS box is my usual first choice

drag and drop if the two windows are easily visible at the same time

cut and paste rarely

>Thanks.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 400
Boston, MA 02116
www.penfact.com
Useful reading (be sure to read its disclaimer first):
From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, sali(a)euroherc.hr
(sali) writes:

> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM>
> jenapisao u poruci interesnoj
> grupi:IU.D20100126.T095724.P9759.Q0(a)J.de.Boyne.Pollard.localhost...
>
>>> I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying
>>> file, at large.
>>>
>>> For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>>>
>>> I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer
>>> studies who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself:
>
> almost never used drag-n-drop, because of 'drop', specialy not when
> folder structure is complex
> while dragging, you may incidentaly release mouse button, and all you
> are dragging will be droped somewhere in the middle.

Exactly. Then you have to figure out where the file got dropped,
and whether it overwrote another version of the file that you wanted
to keep. It's just too dangerous, IMHO.

> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than
> drag-n-drop method, that 'copy/paste' in the case of files/folders
> is just gui terminology. and if you mean 'copy/paste' as
> ctrl-c/ctrl-v, it is very fast, as opposed to copy/paste
> from right-click menu, since it needs considerable time to
> be built and displayed

My standard method is to open two Explorer windows. Copy from one,
paste into the other. Much less clicking, waiting for redraws, etc.

Also, I consider pasting onto a folder icon to be a no-no. If the
mouse moves the slightest bit when you click it, once again your
file is off to never-never land. If the destination window is
open on the desired directory, you can copy (or drop) the file
anywhere within that big open space and you know it'll get there.

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Charlie Gibbs:
> In article <O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, sali(a)euroherc.hr
> (sali) writes:
>
>> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups(a)NTLWorld.COM>
>> jenapisao u poruci interesnoj
>> grupi:IU.D20100126.T095724.P9759.Q0(a)J.de.Boyne.Pollard.localhost...

>> almost never used drag-n-drop, because of 'drop', specialy not when
>> folder structure is complex
>> while dragging, you may incidentaly release mouse button, and all you
>> are dragging will be droped somewhere in the middle.
>
> Exactly. Then you have to figure out where the file got dropped,
> and whether it overwrote another version of the file that you wanted
> to keep. It's just too dangerous, IMHO.
>
>> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than
>> drag-n-drop method, that 'copy/paste' in the case of files/folders
>> is just gui terminology. and if you mean 'copy/paste' as
>> ctrl-c/ctrl-v, it is very fast, as opposed to copy/paste
>> from right-click menu, since it needs considerable time to
>> be built and displayed
>
> My standard method is to open two Explorer windows. Copy from one,
> paste into the other. Much less clicking, waiting for redraws, etc.
>
> Also, I consider pasting onto a folder icon to be a no-no. If the
> mouse moves the slightest bit when you click it, once again your
> file is off to never-never land. If the destination window is
> open on the desired directory, you can copy (or drop) the file
> anywhere within that big open space and you know it'll get there.

The nice thing about Windows Explorer is that you can right-click on the desktop
and "undo" some unspecified file operation performed hours or days ago.

Right now I have an "undo copy" for some unspecified file.

This adds an irresistible little element of risk! :-)

Cheers,

- Alf