From: sl on
I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying file, at
large.

For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.

I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer studies
who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why clog the RAM
with such data ?

How do you copy , and why ?

Thanks.

From: David Schwartz on
On Jan 25, 6:46 pm, "sl(a)my-rialto" <ecp_...(a)my-rialto.com> wrote:

> For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>
> I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer studies
> who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why clog the RAM
> with such data ?

Umm, huh?! Copy and paste is another way to perform precisely the same
thing that dragging and dropping produces. When you drag something,
that is akin to cutting it. When you drop it, that is akin to pasting
it. There is no significant difference in what the computer does. In
both cases, the file will be renamed if possible and copied through
RAM if not.

DS
From: Dee Earley on
On 26/01/2010 02:46, sl(a)my-rialto wrote:
> I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying file, at
> large.

Depends what windows I have open and where I;m copying from/to.

> For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>
> I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer studies
> who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why clog the RAM
> with such data ?

What, a filename list? Exactly the same as drag and drop (They use the
same OLE infrastructure)

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

From: Bob Masta on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:46:38 +0800, "sl(a)my-rialto"
<ecp_gen(a)my-rialto.com> wrote:

>I am trying to find out what is the prevalent method of copying file, at
>large.
>
>For me, I use drag-and-drop in windows explorer.
>
>I am a bit amused when I discover that college graduates in computer studies
>who know only copy-and-paste. Off my head I say to myself: why clog the RAM
>with such data ?
>
>How do you copy , and why ?

Drag-and-drop is only equivalent to copy-and-paste
if the source and destination are different
drives; otherwise, drag-and-drop is a move
operation. So it might depend on what those
college graduates are trying to do.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v5.00
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator
Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
DaqMusic - FREE MUSIC, Forever!
(Some assembly required)
Science (and fun!) with your sound card!