From: Stel on
If I drag and drop (only a file or 2 and small) I do it with a right
click so that is asks to move or copy. This is so I don't drop them
in the wrong place.

For multiple files I use Microsoft RichCopy. Command line I use
RoboCopy.

Stel
From: David Schwartz on
On Jan 26, 5:00 am, "sali" <s...(a)euroherc.hr> wrote:

> almost never used drag-n-drop, because of 'drop', specialy not when folder
> structure is complex
> while dragging, you may incidentaly release mouse button, and all you are
> dragging will be droped somewhere in the middle.
> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than drag-n-drop
> method, that 'copy/paste' in the case of files/folders is just gui
> terminology. and if you mean 'copy/paste' as ctrl-c/ctrl-v, it is very fast,
> as opposed to copy/paste from right-click menu, since it needs considerable
> time to be built and displayed

Also, if you accidentally double-click, you may open everything you
selected (ouch!). Selecting 'cut' doesn't have this risk.

DS
From: sali on
"Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> je napisao u poruci interesnoj
grupi:2008.713T728T5684405(a)kltpzyxm.invalid...
> In article <O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, sali(a)euroherc.hr
> (sali) writes:
>
>> almost never used drag-n-drop, because of 'drop', specialy not when
>> folder structure is complex
>> while dragging, you may incidentaly release mouse button, and all you
>> are dragging will be droped somewhere in the middle.
>
> Exactly. Then you have to figure out where the file got dropped,
> and whether it overwrote another version of the file that you wanted
> to keep. It's just too dangerous, IMHO.

just to be honest, i checked, and there *is* gui option "undo-move" [on my
win/xp], so if something is dropped, you may perform "undo" to have it back
to the old place, if done immediately, and if no other harm is done

on win/vista i found *functional* "shadow-copy", and was very pleased,
because some files were completely wiped-off from disk, as well as folders
together [nothing in the recycle-bin], and even after few days later, i
found the option to restore them from "shadow-copy". so, this option
completely address the dumb-user's question:
"i was saving the file, and computer asked me if i want to overwrite the
previous version of file, and i said yes, and now i can't find that old
version any more, and where can i find it because i need it?"

From: Al Dunbar on

"Frank P. Westlake" <frank.westlake(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "sali" news:O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard"
>>
>> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than drag-n-drop
>> method ...
>
> Compared with the command line it might use much more memory. I am not
> certain, this is only observation. It seems that File Explorer first makes
> a complete list of all PIDLs it will need to make the complete copy, but
> with command line programs the files are processed as each name is
> determined, then that memory is overwritten with the next name.

But, IMHO, that list of PIDL's may not be as huge as you think. I just did
the following:

- right-click and copy of a folder containing other folders and files;
- deleted some of the folders and files;
- right-click and pasted somewhere else.

no errors were reported as would be the case if the actual target of the
copy had been deleted. but the pasted result was identical to the state of
the folder contents after the deletions had taken place. The list of PIDL's,
then, in the case of a folder containing a huge number of folders and
subfolders is simply the PIDL of the containing folder.

/Al

From: Todd Vargo on
Al Dunbar wrote:
> "Frank P. Westlake" <frank.westlake(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> > "sali" news:O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> >> "Jonathan de Boyne Pollard"
> >>
> >> copy/paste doesn't waste any memory, at least not more than drag-n-drop
> >> method ...
> >
> > Compared with the command line it might use much more memory. I am not
> > certain, this is only observation. It seems that File Explorer first
makes
> > a complete list of all PIDLs it will need to make the complete copy, but
> > with command line programs the files are processed as each name is
> > determined, then that memory is overwritten with the next name.
>
> But, IMHO, that list of PIDL's may not be as huge as you think. I just did
> the following:
>
> - right-click and copy of a folder containing other folders and files;
> - deleted some of the folders and files;
> - right-click and pasted somewhere else.
>
> no errors were reported as would be the case if the actual target of the
> copy had been deleted. but the pasted result was identical to the state of
> the folder contents after the deletions had taken place. The list of
PIDL's,
> then, in the case of a folder containing a huge number of folders and
> subfolders is simply the PIDL of the containing folder.

Also keep in mind, the list created is being used for computing an estimated
complete status, whereas, the command line does not provide any status.

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)