From: Al Dunbar on

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> Al Dunbar wrote:
>> "Frank P. Westlake" <frank.westlake(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > "sali" news:O2ta2conKHA.4628(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

>> > Compared with the command line it might use much more memory. I am not
>> > certain, this is only observation. It seems that File Explorer first
> makes
>> > a complete list of all PIDLs it will need to make the complete copy,
>> > but
>> > with command line programs the files are processed as each name is
>> > determined, then that memory is overwritten with the next name.
>>
>> But, IMHO, that list of PIDL's may not be as huge as you think. I just
>> did
>> the following:
>>
>> - right-click and copy of a folder containing other folders and
>> files;
>> - deleted some of the folders and files;
>> - right-click and pasted somewhere else.
>>
>> no errors were reported as would be the case if the actual target of the
>> copy had been deleted. but the pasted result was identical to the state
>> of
>> the folder contents after the deletions had taken place. The list of
> PIDL's,
>> then, in the case of a folder containing a huge number of folders and
>> subfolders is simply the PIDL of the containing folder.
>
> Also keep in mind, the list created is being used for computing an
> estimated
> complete status, whereas, the command line does not provide any status.

A good point. But in my opinion, comparing the resources used by two
different methods do determine which to use is only of consequence when the
higher resources of one actually causes a problem in performance.

That said, I consider drag-and-drop and cut-and-paste methods for copying
files and folder to be oriented mainly towards the user, whereas command
line methods are more in the domain of administrators and more sophisticated
users.

As an admin I use robocopy for critical or significant transfers as it gives
me more control and a greater ability to test a potential copy than either
of the GUI-based methods.

/Al