From: Leythos on
In article <74a6ae96-2b0c-4371-a220-c5828c035055
@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>, texan767(a)hotmail.com says...
> I myself have run without any antivirus software for a few months,
> kind of as a test & have gotten nothing.
> I have also ran with expired software without incident. Are my web-
> browsing habits just safer than most? I doubt it.
> I just wish I had an answer to the question that usually starts 'I
> have anti-virus software...'.

How would you know you've got nothing?

In most cases, most malware bypasses the AV software and gets admin
control of the computer in question.

Every compromised computer I've seen in the last year has had installed
and updated AV software on it as well as almost every MS security patch.

Trust yourself.
From: C on
Unknown wrote:
> Nothing of any consequence happens.
> "C" <c(a)nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Unknown wrote:
>>> Great post. I have been running XP since day one and have never had a
>>> virus. I have no malware or virus applications whatsoever. I DO NOT click
>>> on unknown items.
>> So how do you know you're not infected by a net bot, the owner of which
>> isn't really interested in letting you know you've been punked? Do you
>> really think that all malware has a little feature that lets you know when
>> they've latched on to your computer or what?
>>
>> --

How do you know you're not infected? Just because nothing seems to be
happening doesn't mean it isn't.

From: The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy' on
On 3/24/2010 10:11 AM, Unknown wrote:
> Great post. I have been running XP since day one and have never had a virus.
> I have no malware or virus applications whatsoever. I DO NOT click on
> unknown items.

You better not click on your own newsgroup posts then, they are labeled
as 'Unknown' <g> ;)

From: Unknown on
Like I said----nothing of any consequence happens. What should I expect? I'm
not paranoid.

From: Unknown on
LOL
"The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy'"
<me693(a)privacy.com> wrote in message news:hodfac$lqn$1(a)speranza.aioe.org...
> On 3/24/2010 10:11 AM, Unknown wrote:
>> Great post. I have been running XP since day one and have never had a
>> virus.
>> I have no malware or virus applications whatsoever. I DO NOT click on
>> unknown items.
>
> You better not click on your own newsgroup posts then, they are labeled as
> 'Unknown' <g> ;)
>
>> "Mike"<texan767(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I am curious how people wind up with viruses today, especially those
>>> with anti-virus software!
>>> I have cleaned a lot of computers up, using the ubcd4win, with great
>>> sucess, but I have never had to do this to a computer without any
>>> virus protection, whether it be CA, Symantec, Bit Defender, Macafee,
>>> probably the only software I haven't seen on any of the computers I've
>>> cleaned up is Trend Micro. Does that mean they are better then the
>>> rest? What does theirs do that the others don't?
>>> I myself have run without any antivirus software for a few months,
>>> kind of as a test& have gotten nothing.
>>> I have also ran with expired software without incident. Are my web-
>>> browsing habits just safer than most? I doubt it.
>>> I just wish I had an answer to the question that usually starts 'I
>>> have anti-virus software...'.
>>> On a lighter note, I did have one person a while back tell me they
>>> actually clicked/downloaded a file after his software warned him.
>>> His answer started with 'But I have anti-virus software on my
>>> computer...'.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: CHKDSK
Next: three new folders appeared on C drive