From: Twayne on
In news:uswmPcDzKHA.5288(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl,
Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
> "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message

> That may well be true. However, in my circle of friends,
> relatives and every business I communicate with, I have
> never had a complaint.

1. Such things are seldom attributable to the actual sender.
2. Don't necessarily trigger instantly. May have delays, wait
for next boot, etc.
3. You "assume" your circle of friends et al:
a. will never become infected with anything that could
infect you
b. you would know if they infected you
c. Will never have their address book, which includes your
e-mail address, stolen
d. and that your own address book hasn't been read/stolen
already, exposing all of your friends to malware
4. Since you have "business associates" they are prime
suspects to have been hacked, used and otherwise affected in
ways that can affect you.
5. Erroneously assume that because you back up to an
external device that everything on it is safe. But whenever
your machine is turned on at the same time as the external
drive, it is 100% as susceptible as any of your internal
drives. A lot of malwares tasks are only to destroy data,
beginning with the least used set, as kept track of by
windows.

And several other possibilities. If you aren't a victim of
identity theft already, you'll understand when you do realize
how you've been infected. Well, IF you ever do realize it.
Even something as serious as becoming part of a zombie network
could easily live on your machine. Depending on your ISPs
rules, you might end up wondering why they suddenly and
without warning just close down all your accounts.

> Have a good external backup, play safe hex and see how
> great your system runs.

Safe Hex does not mean the trusted sites you access will never
be hacked or otherwise infected with things that can
infect/affect/effect you. With web sites it's even worse; you
don't even have to click a link; just viewing the page can be
enough to trigger a malware download in chunks, along with the
page's normal content. You'd never see it coming.

When you disappear from the groups, we'll know what happened
to you<g>.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Unknown on
I am not paranoid. I do not power up my backup and computer at the same
time.

From: NA on
On 3/25/2010 1:29 PM EST, Twayne wrote:

[... snipped for brevity ...]

> Safe Hex does not mean the trusted sites you access will never
> be hacked or otherwise infected with things that can
> infect/affect/effect you. With web sites it's even worse; you
> don't even have to click a link; just viewing the page can be
> enough to trigger a malware download in chunks, along with the
> page's normal content. You'd never see it coming.

[... snipped for brevity ...]

You made some excellent points--whether 'Unknown' wakes up or stays
ignorant that's his/her prerogative.

Just want to add my 2 cents, even trusted sites--large legit
well-recognized sites--have been known to contain malicious contents
from *advertisers* which were disseminated unchecked to site visitors.
These legit sites were neither hacked or infected--they're simply
businesses taking in any ad content as long as their client is willing
to pay for the space. No clicks needed, just landing on those pages
with the malicious ads is enough for an infection and/or attack. Well
crafted malicious scripts can easily bypass the firewalls, NAT filters,
and take control of unprotected and vulnerable PCs without any trace of
a compromise to the users. The better the exploit, the more
sophisticated and discrete it is. Hackers today are well organized
criminal syndicates that like to stay under the radar--unlike the
earlier generations of vandals and delinquents that are out for kicks
and bragging rights. That's the reason for a tiered multi-layered
protection approach. If paying for active protection is not an option,
then regularly using some free passive detection tools are better than
taking the naive 'head-in-the-sand' approach with no protection at all.
From: Unknown on
Perhaps then you can tell me why I haven't had a virus in the last 16 years?
Where do you get your facts? Give me a malicious page to land on.

From: Leythos on
In article <O84iCoEzKHA.5936(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, unknown(a)unknown.kom
says...
> Perhaps then you can tell me why I haven't had a virus in the last 16 years?
> Where do you get your facts? Give me a malicious page to land on.

In more than 30 years I have personally been compromised 1 time and I
have dozens of computers in my home as well as servers facing the
internet 24/7. In that same period of time, not a single customer has
been compromised.

Now, during all that time, running AV software since it came out, I've
seen thousands of alerts/events where the AV software prevented a
malware from running on my computers.

Since I make a living with computers and networks, I can't imagine
anyone with any common sense actually thinking they don't need a quality
AV solution combined with other security means.

Trust yourself.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: CHKDSK
Next: three new folders appeared on C drive