From: Unknown on
The fact remains----I have never had a virus. I will state however my ISP
also has a virus filter.

From: Twayne on
In news:u1Uqp%234yKHA.2552(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
> Mine would have to be infected in order to infect yours.
> That has NEVER happened to anyone I communicate with.
> The writers of malware and virus programs merely want your
> money.

The purposes of viruses and malware can be most anything from
simple maliciousness and vandalism to holding your data
hostage to a dos attack, to mention only a few things.
I haven't had a virus in years, but I have to wonder how
long you've actually been surfing & using the 'net. It helps
a lot if you're behind a NAT router and have it secured, use a
firewall, etc.. Those and safe surfing and site uses go a
long ways toward staying clean.
But if you aren't running any AV or malware detectors, you
could be in for quite a surprise. Even botnet armies
(Zombies) have become sophisticated enough to spread the
processes out so much that their activities on your machine
are barely noticeable. I suspect if you're telling the truth,
that either you've been online only a short time or there are
other mitigating circumstances you're not bothering to
mention.
I suspect you already know too, but the way one picks up
malware is by opening infected attachments (which can even
come from a friend who is infected), something that
accompanies what you think is ia legitimate download, clicking
on the right link on the right sites, clicking on any link in
a spam mail, and a thousand other ways including on
discs/sticks that other people might provide you with.
`
Isn't the reverse true??? I have NEVER been infected by
> someone who doesn't have a virus program installed.
> Stop and THINK--------how does one get a virus? When, and
> more importantly, how did you get your last virus?

I didn't "get" the last virus, but I am getting the FedEx
virus arriving about once a week in an attachment. It always
gets caught before it's downloaded and removed, but they're
still trying to send them.

I tend to agree with whoever said your head's in the sand. It
isn't a matter of your being safe from malware; it's a
question of when you're gong to be afftected, assuming you
aren't already infected. Without running scans you can not be
certain that your machine is "clean" even with Linux and other
less-targetted OS's. Therefore you cannot truthfully make the
statement that you know you have never had a virus; you quite
likely wouldn't know it. You could hav emany things going on
and not know it.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
all anti virus software
lags behind newly
conceptualized virus's.

but the vast majority
of old virus's are usually
blocked by up-to-date
anti virals.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: Mark Adams on

"Unknown" wrote:

> Mine would have to be infected in order to infect yours. That has NEVER
> happened to anyone I communicate with.
> The writers of malware and virus programs merely want your money.
> Isn't the reverse true??? I have NEVER been infected by someone who doesn't
> have a virus program installed.
> Stop and THINK--------how does one get a virus? When, and more importantly,
> how did you get your last virus?

I don't think I've ever gotten a self-propagating virus either, but I did
get the Antivirus 2009 malware last year when my wife clicked on a link in a
screensavers website. She alerted me of the pop-up and instead of trying to
close the pop-up, I rebooted the computer and ran Malwarebytes at bootup.
That seems to have knocked it off, and I haven't had anything show up on a
scan since.

I still don't trust running without antivirus and antimalware applications,
especially after seeing the results of the rootkit that was uncovered a few
weeks ago by a Windows update. People whose machines were infected didn't
even know that they were. Safe hex can only go so far.

From: Unknown on
"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
> In news:u1Uqp%234yKHA.2552(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> Unknown <unknown(a)unknown.kom> typed:
>> Mine would have to be infected in order to infect yours.
>> That has NEVER happened to anyone I communicate with.
>> The writers of malware and virus programs merely want your
>> money.
>
> The purposes of viruses and malware can be most anything from simple
> maliciousness and vandalism to holding your data hostage to a dos attack,
> to mention only a few things.
> I haven't had a virus in years, but I have to wonder how long you've
> actually been surfing & using the 'net.
I've been surfing the net since 1994. However my computer experience dates
to 1955.

>. It helps a lot if you're behind a NAT router and have it secured, use a
>firewall, etc..
I use the regular Windows firewall.

>Those and safe surfing and site uses go a long ways toward staying clean.
> But if you aren't running any AV or malware detectors, you could be in
> for quite a surprise. Even botnet armies (Zombies) have become
> sophisticated enough to spread the processes out so much that their
> activities on your machine are barely noticeable. I suspect if you're
> telling the truth, that either you've been online only a short time or
> there are other mitigating circumstances you're not bothering to mention.
Mitigating circumstances????
I keep my system updated. I install ALL Microsoft updates.
I have external backup for any disaster.

> I suspect you already know too, but the way one picks up malware is by
> opening infected attachments (which can even come from a friend who is
> infected), something that accompanies what you think is ia legitimate
> download, clicking on the right link on the right sites, clicking on any
> link in a spam mail, and a thousand other ways including on discs/sticks
> that other people might provide you with.
I NEVER click on unknown links.

> `
> Isn't the reverse true??? I have NEVER been infected by
>> someone who doesn't have a virus program installed.
>> Stop and THINK--------how does one get a virus? When, and
>> more importantly, how did you get your last virus?
>
> I didn't "get" the last virus, but I am getting the FedEx virus arriving
> about once a week in an attachment. It always gets caught before it's
> downloaded and removed, but they're still trying to send them.
>
> I tend to agree with whoever said your head's in the sand. It isn't a
> matter of your being safe from malware; it's a question of when you're
> gong to be afftected, assuming you aren't already infected.
That is simply fear mongering. Do you sell malware programs?

>Without running scans you can not be certain that your machine is "clean"
>even with Linux and other less-targetted OS's. Therefore you cannot
>truthfully make the statement that you know you have never had a virus; you
>quite likely wouldn't know it. You could hav emany things going on and not
>know it.
That may well be true. However, in my circle of friends, relatives and every
business I communicate with, I have never had a complaint.

Have a good external backup, play safe hex and see how great your system
runs.
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`
>

> "Mark Adams" <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message

>>> You should expect that your machine will be infecting
>>> other machines all over the net without your awareness or
>>> knowlege. That's why I have good AV software on my
>>> machines; so they won't get infected by machines like
>>> yours. ;-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: CHKDSK
Next: three new folders appeared on C drive