From: Rainer Rosenthal on
Stephen J. Herschkorn schrieb:

> worksheet and put a border around the cell where I make the guess.
>
> Ioannis, I will e-mail you my Excel file for this.

Hello Stephen,

may I have one too, please?

Best regards,
Rainer Rosenthal
r.rosenthal(a)web.de
From: Stephen J. Herschkorn on
Here is another benefit of doing sudokus on an Excel spreadsheet. The
Edit/Undo command keeps a buffer of significant length, so if you find
you made a mistake, you can undo the last ten or so changes.

--
Stephen J. Herschkorn sjherschko(a)netscape.net
From: Ioannis on
ý "Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjherschko(a)netscape.net> ýýýýýý ýýý ýýýýýý

> Here is another benefit of doing sudokus on an Excel spreadsheet. The
> Edit/Undo command keeps a buffer of significant length, so if you find
> you made a mistake, you can undo the last ten or so changes.

Thanks to both Stephen and Paul for their help. Oughta keep my uncle busy
for quite some time :-)

> --
> Stephen J. Herschkorn sjherschko(a)netscape.net
--
I. N. Galidakis
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/

From: Minus XVII on
this was obviously devised by 4D Go-masters,
intent upon messing with what is left
of the Western Mind.

Ioannis wrote:
> My uncle is possessed with Sudoku. He spends hours marking and erasing but
> he finally solves it.

> What would be a necessary and sufficient condition so that he could check
> whether his step k is correct?
>
> I haven't thought about the puzzle a lot, but the first thought that came to
> my mind was to check that sum(i,i=1..9)<=45.
>
> However this checks only completed rows and columns and even for those I am
> not sure that this condition is sufficient.

FROM LOS ANGELES: Downtown Area
Take the I-10 East
Merge onto I-5 South Drive 24.5 miles
Take Katella Ave. exit toward Orangewood Ave. Drive 0.2 miles Take
Katella Ave. ramp
Drive 0.3 miles Turn Right onto E. Katella Ave.
Drive 0.8 miles Turn Right on St. College Blvd.
Drive 0.2 miles Turn Left onto 2000 Gene Autry Way.

From: Patrick Hamlyn on
"Stephen J. Herschkorn" <sjherschko(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>Here is another benefit of doing sudokus on an Excel spreadsheet. The
>Edit/Undo command keeps a buffer of significant length, so if you find
>you made a mistake, you can undo the last ten or so changes.

The default is 16, and if you'e happy with that then well and good. If you want
more, then (from Micro$oft article 211922)
1. Close any programs that are running.
2. On the Start menu, click Run. Type regedit and click OK.
3. In the Registry Editor, expand the following key:
HKey_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Excel\Options
4. On the Edit menu, point to New and click DWORD Value. With New Value #1
selected, type UndoHistory, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify. In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box,
click Decimal under Base. Type a value between 0 and 100 for Value. Click OK and
quit the Registry Editor.
6. Start Microsoft Excel. Microsoft Excel stores an undo history for the
number of actions you specify in step 5.

Setting it high and then making numerous sweeping changes to large worksheets
will of course stress your system's RAM, but setting it to 100 for sudoku
shouldn't be any problem at all.
--
Patrick Hamlyn posting from Perth, Western Australia
Windsurfing capital of the Southern Hemisphere