From: Hauke Reddmann on
In sci.math Stephen J. Herschkorn <sjherschko(a)netscape.net> wrote:

> Sometimes, I get myself to a point where all I can do is guess and see
> if this leads to a contradiction. For this, I just copy the current
> worksheet and put a border around the cell where I make the guess.

Well, I can't really draw hypotheses from having done about
just 10 Sudokus (it's a VERY fresh fad here in Germany too :-)
of various difficulty but I never needed more than 2nd
degree of logic (A can be filled with X but then I foul up
at B) to solve, and in most cases straightforward "A can
only filled with X/X can only go to A"), recursively
applied, sufficed.

Feel free to email me a superhard Sudoku to prove me wrong :-)
--
Hauke Reddmann <:-EX8 fc3a501(a)uni-hamburg.de
His-Ala-Sec-Lys-Glu Arg-Glu-Asp-Asp-Met-Ala-Asn-Asn

From: on
In article <ddv0re$1q5$2(a)rzsun03.rrz.uni-hamburg.de>,
Hauke Reddmann <fc3a501(a)uni-hamburg.de> writes:
>In sci.math Stephen J. Herschkorn <sjherschko(a)netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes, I get myself to a point where all I can do is guess and see
>> if this leads to a contradiction. For this, I just copy the current
>> worksheet and put a border around the cell where I make the guess.
>
>Well, I can't really draw hypotheses from having done about
>just 10 Sudokus (it's a VERY fresh fad here in Germany too :-)
>of various difficulty but I never needed more than 2nd
>degree of logic (A can be filled with X but then I foul up
>at B) to solve, and in most cases straightforward "A can
>only filled with X/X can only go to A"), recursively
>applied, sufficed.
>
>Feel free to email me a superhard Sudoku to prove me wrong :-)

To save me time, I wrote a simple program that fills in all straightforward
deductions of the kind:

1) The only number that can go in this square is 3.

2) The only place where the 5 in row 7 can go is here.

I found that this completely solves almost all puzzles rated easy or medium.

It sometimes fails to solve difficult problems. For these, I have found one
application of one of the following types of reasoning will complete it.

3) The 3 in row 5 must go in column 1 or 3. In either case, this forces
the 3 in row 6 to go in column 5.

4) The 3 and the 7 in row 5 must go in columns 1 and 3. Hence no other
number can go in either of these places, which then enables you to place
another number somewhere else.

Derek Holt.
`
From: john_ramsden on

m...(a)mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk () wrote:

> > Feel free to email me a superhard Sudoku to prove me wrong :-)
>
> To save me time, I wrote a simple program that fills in all
> straightforward deductions of the kind:
>
> 1) The only number that can go in this square is 3.
>
> 2) The only place where the 5 in row 7 can go is here.
>
> [...]

Although it may sound almost heretical, I must admit these
Sudoko puzzles leave me completely cold; they seem almost
as daft and pointless as those alphametic puzzles such as
CAT + DOG = SCRAP.

(That's not meant to imply I find either type easy, quite
the reverse.)

But, changing the topic temporarily, I did used to enjoy
the Rubik's cube, and I wonder if anyone has yet found a
workable and neat way to represent all the patterns and
operations in a group theoretic form or something similar.

From: John R Jones on

Stephen J. Herschkorn wrote:
> In sci.math, Ioannis wrote:
>
> >My uncle is possessed with Sudoku. He spends hours marking and erasing but
> >he finally solves it.
> >
> >He is a civil engineer and also has a Microsoft certificate for Excel usage, or something like that.
> >
> >I suggested he ported the game to Excel, using a template, so he doesn't
> >have to scratch and erase all the time.

Yes Excel is a clear choice for this.
I added a "help" function which works out what values each cell can be
and what cells must be.
The algorithms used: a value is forced if there is a singleton in the
"can be" matrix,
or if it is the only position left for that digit in a row, column or
squarelet.
This is all done by worksheet formulae.
I then wrote a macro to copy the musts to the puzzle cells, re-apply
the algorithms
and iterate until there are no more musts.
The idea was that I would then only have to guess some values and
backtrack manually.
However, I have yet to find a puzzle that isnt automatically filled in
by the blessed thing :-(.
Any really tough ones out there?
JJ

From: mensanator@aol.compost on

John R Jones wrote:
> Stephen J. Herschkorn wrote:
> > In sci.math, Ioannis wrote:
> >
> > >My uncle is possessed with Sudoku. He spends hours marking and erasing but
> > >he finally solves it.
> > >
> > >He is a civil engineer and also has a Microsoft certificate for Excel usage, or something like that.
> > >
> > >I suggested he ported the game to Excel, using a template, so he doesn't
> > >have to scratch and erase all the time.

> Yes Excel is a clear choice for this.
> I added a "help" function which works out what values each cell can be
> and what cells must be.
> The algorithms used: a value is forced if there is a singleton in the
> "can be" matrix,
> or if it is the only position left for that digit in a row, column or
> squarelet.
> This is all done by worksheet formulae.
> I then wrote a macro to copy the musts to the puzzle cells, re-apply
> the algorithms
> and iterate until there are no more musts.
> The idea was that I would then only have to guess some values and
> backtrack manually.
> However, I have yet to find a puzzle that isnt automatically filled in
> by the blessed thing :-(.
> Any really tough ones out there?

The Chicago Sun-Times just started running them a week ago:

<http://www.suntimes.com/sudoku>

They rate them as

Monday: very easy
Tuesday: very easy
Wednesday: easy
Thursday: easy
Friday: medium
Saturday: hard

On the very easy puzzles, I can follow a trail of singletons from
start to finish, they are so easy my spreadsheet isn't needed.

Saturday's wasn't so simple. The singletons dried up after a few
passes and I was left with doubles, leaving me no choice but to
guess and follow to the end or backtrack when the guess led to
a contradiction. I was stumped before I had a decent backtracking
mechanism in place.

> JJ

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13