From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> In order to do as the OP suggested, a AIO printer would need to have
> support for networking, and be able to understand how to access a
> shared folder, which I would agree, I'm not aware of any that exists.

The HP OfficeJet 9130 will do this. I wouldn't rush out to get one unless
you absolutely must. It's nothing more than a temperamental piece of junk (a
"multimalfunction device" if you will) when it comes to the fax function,
and both scanning and printing are mediocre at best.

A considerably fancier and more expensive product is the LaserJet M5035 MFP,
which can scan to network shares, its internal hard disk or e-mail. It will
scan in color and seems to do pretty well, although 300DPI appears to be the
limit.

William

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 8, 3:44 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
> I usually have a budget (based on comparison shopping), so when Sep/Oct
> comes around and Canon brings out their new lineup, I can usually take
> my existing budget, but by getting last year's model I can go up a step
> in quality/features/whatever.
>
> I've yet to regret this technique.

Yes, 4 years back or so, they were offering the mp750 online for $100,
which was the same price as the ip4000. Spiffy deal for something
with a sheet feeder, but no fax.

Now, it's the mp830 or mp530, which to be fair the mp830 jumped up in
price come October.

The only drawback is if Canon happens to offer a spiffy new feature,
like switching to 1pl & 5pl drops rather than 2 & 5, or offering 1, 2,
and 5pl drops rather than just 1 &2. But most of their advancements
are geared toward photo printing, not next which remains pretty much
unchanged, save the option for duplex printing which IMHO isn't a
useful feature.
From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 8, 8:52 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
> I got the mp830, my mom got the mp530 when she somehow damaged the
> mp750. Oddly, I paid less, just dumb luck, got it at a substantial
> discount at what I think might have been a store mistake.

Could be, or could be they were encouraged to clear out the "old"
models in favor of the "new" models. This is odd as they have the MX
class models, one is actually on par with the mp750, well, no photo
black on the MX700 IIRC, but the same resolution head. It has
networking, which is a big bonus, but aside from that, the mp750 was
equal or slightly better printer.

> Even so, unless the feature is worth the $100-$200 savings...

It is worth that IF you need that feature. I find the 1pl model does
better for Japanese text, specifically the furigana, the little
characters above the big ones. I imagine that the medium resolution
does a slightly better job on certain paper. A savings of $100 is
meaningless if you just spend $100 a short time later, but I'm sure
for most people, they would be pleased saving such a HUGE chunk from
the get go.

It depends on the person, and their wants/needs.

> It's weird, I thought the same about duplex printing until had that
> option. I don't think I'll buy another printer without it.

I flip the paper. Problem solved. I find that the duplex feature
cuts down printing speed by quite alot, Canon depends on the smaller
dye black for printing duplex, and sucks the paper back in the
printer. I find the quality of text better if I print odds and
evens. But again if you find it useful, who am I to argue, I can see
how it would be.

> I bought my MP830 because it was the same price as the cheapest sheet
> fed scanner, and far cheaper then any duplexing scanner I could find,
> the printer is somewhere between an added bonus and a waste of otherwise
> unused space.

Yes, that's the thing. The prices for these models on closeout is
unbelievable. the mp530 I can find for $105 shipped, which for a
printer isn't a bad price. For a sheet fed scanner it's a stellar
price.

> One day I might even get a landline, in which case the fax will come in
> handy, but until then, it makes a nice scanner and an occasional
> photocopier.

Yes, perhaps that's why this time around it's the fax models that are
getting the super duper price treatment. Fax is becoming pointless in
lieu of PDF to e-mail, or any number of web->fax services.

But I think we have gotten way off topic. which is

Printers that permitting scanning to USB or network share. That
simply is NOT an option on Canons. Canons are good printers, good for
text, good for photos. They offer semi decent scanners, but IMHO they
lack alot of software integration of features.
From: measekite on
On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 00:52:04 -0700, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> I'm not really sure such a driver exists.
>
> Scans are a file format (usually jpegs) but most use a TWAIN of similar
> driver that involves the computer memory for temporary storage, and then
> it can be written to disk via the TWAIN or other intelligent software.
>
> I don't know that any scanner will make and store a file and then
> directly communicate to and write to hard drive, or any other simple
> memory devise, like a USB thumb drive.
>
> I'm quite willing to be proven wrong, however.

That is a rarity.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 9, 2:24 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
> In message
> <53f3e848-4e3b-40bc-9c9b-d1fa4287f...(a)i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
> IntergalacticExpandingPanda <intergalacticexpandingpa...(a)hotmail.com>
> was claimed to have wrote:
>
> >I flip the paper. Problem solved.
>
> This assumes your software is capable of printing odd/even pages easily,
> not all does.

Print pages 1, 3, 5...9999
Print pages 2, 4, 6....10000

Microsoft supports this syntax, in fact I've not met an OS that
doesn't.

> This depends on the printer, on my colour laser, it drops me from 12ppm
> to 10 sides per minute, which isn't much of a drop, and is a heck of a
> lot faster then pulling the tray and re-inserting pages.

Ahhhh... ok I see duplexing on a laser. No dry time is required and
it is easier than flipping the pages. On an inkjet flipping is more
practical as the first page printed has dried for a longer period of
time.

> I'm not sure I've ever duplexed on my MP830, I got the laser between the
> MP750 and MP830.

The mp750 duplexes, as does the mp830. Quality of print goes down
with duplex mode, and it mixes the dye and pigment to increase the dry
time and prevent bleeding from top to bottom. Print speed goes down,
not just due to flipping, but due to it using the smaller head to
print text, in conjunction to the bigger head.

I "might" use the canon feature if it took the printed page, shoved it
somewhere, and then reprinted starting with the first printed, but
really if I need duplex I could go laser.

I should be more clear.

I don't find duplex mode on inkjets to be a useful feature. I find
flipping the pages saves time and doesn't affect print quality. Laser
duplex is handy.