From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 12, 5:44 am, TJ <T...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I just checked with Firefox and Linux, and you COULD print in that
> fashion, but it would require a separate print run for each printer
> page. For example, a four-page webpage would require you to print #1,
> then #3, then flip the paper and print 2 and 4. A messy and bothersome
> proposition, to be sure.

Well, I would agree for lasers. Autoduplexing does save some hassle
esp for small print runs. But inkjets, pages require some heavy dry
time. You can either refeed a web page to duplex, cutting down on the
time, or flip the pages your self. If you flip your self, you don't
refeed a freshly printed page, and the last page printed will be the
most dry in a run.

Four pages, you're right, a pain. 100 pages, well, no big deal. It's
rather why for web pages, I just print simplex, and reuse my paper.

In the old dot matrix days, when everything was given via a text file,
I had handy dandy software that would split the file into odds and
evens, inserting a form feed at the end of each page. Again, a hassle
but as dot matrix printers didn't support duplex, it make sense.

While I feel Measekete had a valid point, I did question whether or
not he was being totally truthful. It may be in internet explorer the
support for printing is so bad that printing page 2 wouldn't result in
the same page 2 as when you printed 1+2.

From: TJ on
IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
> On Oct 12, 5:44 am, TJ <T...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> I just checked with Firefox and Linux, and you COULD print in that
>> fashion, but it would require a separate print run for each printer
>> page. For example, a four-page webpage would require you to print #1,
>> then #3, then flip the paper and print 2 and 4. A messy and bothersome
>> proposition, to be sure.
>
> Well, I would agree for lasers. Autoduplexing does save some hassle
> esp for small print runs. But inkjets, pages require some heavy dry
> time. You can either refeed a web page to duplex, cutting down on the
> time, or flip the pages your self. If you flip your self, you don't
> refeed a freshly printed page, and the last page printed will be the
> most dry in a run.

I splurged and bought a duplexer attachment last year for my Deskjet
5650 on Ebay for around $20. As it turned out, the same duplexer will
work on the Officejet 6110 that I bought later, a nice surprise. When
auto-duplexing is turned on, the driver pauses printing after the first
page while the ink dries. Another nice surprise is that the length of
the pause is dependent on the amount of ink used on that page. It works
well, and I consider it $20 well-spent.

> Four pages, you're right, a pain. 100 pages, well, no big deal. It's
> rather why for web pages, I just print simplex, and reuse my paper.
>
> In the old dot matrix days, when everything was given via a text file,
> I had handy dandy software that would split the file into odds and
> evens, inserting a form feed at the end of each page. Again, a hassle
> but as dot matrix printers didn't support duplex, it make sense.

I wrote a print utility that would do the same thing back in my Atari
8-bit days. While I had a source of cheap paper, it bothered me to waste
it by using only one side. I had a shareware program that would reformat
lengthy(for then)text files into two-or three-column pages, and print
all or odd then even pages. I even had an option to print the columns in
superscript mode. It was hard to read, but you could really pack in the
text on a page.

> While I feel Measekete had a valid point, I did question whether or
> not he was being totally truthful. It may be in internet explorer the
> support for printing is so bad that printing page 2 wouldn't result in
> the same page 2 as when you printed 1+2.

The only things I hear about IE that surprise me are the very few "good"
things I hear. The same could be said for Measekite.

TJ

From: measekite on
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:33:42 -0400, TJ wrote:

> IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 5:44 am, TJ <T...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>> I just checked with Firefox and Linux, and you COULD print in that
>>> fashion, but it would require a separate print run for each printer
>>> page. For example, a four-page webpage would require you to print #1,
>>> then #3, then flip the paper and print 2 and 4. A messy and bothersome
>>> proposition, to be sure.
>>
>> Well, I would agree for lasers. Autoduplexing does save some hassle
>> esp for small print runs. But inkjets, pages require some heavy dry
>> time. You can either refeed a web page to duplex, cutting down on the
>> time, or flip the pages your self. If you flip your self, you don't
>> refeed a freshly printed page, and the last page printed will be the
>> most dry in a run.
>>
> I splurged and bought a duplexer attachment last year for my Deskjet
> 5650 on Ebay for around $20. As it turned out, the same duplexer will
> work on the Officejet 6110 that I bought later, a nice surprise. When
> auto-duplexing is turned on, the driver pauses printing after the first
> page while the ink dries. Another nice surprise is that the length of
> the pause is dependent on the amount of ink used on that page. It works
> well, and I consider it $20 well-spent.
>
>> Four pages, you're right, a pain. 100 pages, well, no big deal. It's
>> rather why for web pages, I just print simplex, and reuse my paper.
>>
>> In the old dot matrix days, when everything was given via a text file,
>> I had handy dandy software that would split the file into odds and
>> evens, inserting a form feed at the end of each page. Again, a hassle
>> but as dot matrix printers didn't support duplex, it make sense.
>>
> I wrote a print utility that would do the same thing back in my Atari
> 8-bit days. While I had a source of cheap paper, it bothered me to waste
> it by using only one side. I had a shareware program that would reformat
> lengthy(for then)text files into two-or three-column pages, and print
> all or odd then even pages. I even had an option to print the columns in
> superscript mode. It was hard to read, but you could really pack in the
> text on a page.
>
>> While I feel Measekete had a valid point, I did question whether or
>> not he was being totally truthful. It may be in internet explorer the
>> support for printing is so bad that printing page 2 wouldn't result in
>> the same page 2 as when you printed 1+2.
>>

> The only things I hear about IE that surprise me are the very few "good"
> things I hear. The same could be said for Measekite.
>
> TJ

On the length of the pause for HP990Cse you can vary that in the driver
settings in windows. Have not change the default in Linux.