From: measekite on
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 15:58:34 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2:24 pm, DevilsPGD <spam_narf_s...(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:
>> In message
>> <53f3e848-4e3b-40bc-9c9b-d1fa4287f...(a)i24g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
>> IntergalacticExpandingPanda <intergalacticexpandingpa...(a)hotmail.com>
>> was claimed to have wrote:
>>
>> >I flip the paper. Problem solved.
>>
>> This assumes your software is capable of printing odd/even pages easily,
>> not all does.
>
> Print pages 1, 3, 5...9999
> Print pages 2, 4, 6....10000
>
> Microsoft supports this syntax, in fact I've not met an OS that
> doesn't.

Will not work with web pages.

From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 10, 12:42 pm, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:

> > Print pages 1, 3, 5...9999
> > Print pages 2, 4, 6....10000
>
> > Microsoft supports this syntax, in fact I've not met an OS that
> > doesn't.
>
> Will not work with web pages.

Oh wow, Measekete might have a valid point. I have to admit I've not
tried this with web pages since I don't as a rule print web pages for
archive. I do PDF web pages for archive, but not print them. If I
print a web page, I want it fast and as such do it single sided.
Further I take the junk pages, flip them, and print again before they
go into the recycling.

However if web browsers don't allow you to print odd and even pages,
well, that would be a bug and it should be reported, though printer
support in web pages is pretty limited. It would strike me as odd if
the add on, Canon EZ web print, didn't allow printing of odds and
evens.

From: measekite on
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:39:29 -0700, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

> On Oct 10, 12:42 pm, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Print pages 1, 3, 5...9999
>> > Print pages 2, 4, 6....10000
>>
>> > Microsoft supports this syntax, in fact I've not met an OS that
>> > doesn't.
>>
>> Will not work with web pages.
>
> Oh wow, Measekete might have a valid point. I have to admit I've not
> tried this with web pages since I don't as a rule print web pages for
> archive. I do PDF web pages for archive, but not print them. If I
> print a web page, I want it fast and as such do it single sided.
> Further I take the junk pages, flip them, and print again before they
> go into the recycling.
>
> However if web browsers don't allow you to print odd and even pages,
> well, that would be a bug and it should be reported, though printer
> support in web pages is pretty limited. It would strike me as odd if
> the add on, Canon EZ web print, didn't allow printing of odds and
> evens.

You do not understand the concept of web page. It is not a physical page
like letter or legal. A web page is one that when you press the a link is
a length that is sent of what ever size. A new page is sent from the web
server when requested by the browser.

So one web page can be of a length that can comprise multiple letter sized
or even legal sized paper pages. So since when you press the print button
in your browser you are actually printing one web page there is not
concept of even or odd. 1 is always odd.

The only way this can be changed is for a special program to count lines
and that may be difficult because of graphics.
From: IntergalacticExpandingPanda on
On Oct 11, 9:11 am, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:

> The only way this can be changed is for a special program to count lines
> and that may be difficult because of graphics.

If what you say is true, than any software wouldn't work because of
the fact that screen resolution is different than print resolution.
In fact, the aspect ratio is totally different between print and
screen resolution.

In web pages, pages are rendered at print resolution. If the software
does this is a predictable way, then it's a non-issue. If first
rendering is the same as the second rendering, NOT AN ISSUE. If the
second rendering is different than the first rendering, could be an
issue.

What you say "could be" difficult, but that doesn't change the fact
that printing is a VERY common application, and as such a lot of
design hours have been spent developing print engines. If you print
two copies of the same document at different times, they tend to be
the same even if you're printing from something like notepad or
wordpad. However, I would agree that print support in web software
tends to be rather basic, and flaky. This is rather why there are
addons which do a better job.

I have to admit, I don't print web pages beyond a few pages, and as
such I can't speak whether it's truly and issue or not. Web->print
support SUCKS so I imagine it could be.

Different web browsers handle printing different. Opera for example
defaults to landscape, and keeps the backdrop. This'll suck up the
ink without a doubt, esp on black pages. Firefox by default ditches
the backdrop, and goes portrait. But regardless, web->print support
tends to be very flaky and as such Measekite did actually for one have
a point. I'd have to test his assertion.

From: TJ on
IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:11 am, measekite <inkysti...(a)oem.com> wrote:
>
>> The only way this can be changed is for a special program to count lines
>> and that may be difficult because of graphics.
>
> If what you say is true, than any software wouldn't work because of
> the fact that screen resolution is different than print resolution.
> In fact, the aspect ratio is totally different between print and
> screen resolution.
>
> In web pages, pages are rendered at print resolution. If the software
> does this is a predictable way, then it's a non-issue. If first
> rendering is the same as the second rendering, NOT AN ISSUE. If the
> second rendering is different than the first rendering, could be an
> issue.
>
> What you say "could be" difficult, but that doesn't change the fact
> that printing is a VERY common application, and as such a lot of
> design hours have been spent developing print engines. If you print
> two copies of the same document at different times, they tend to be
> the same even if you're printing from something like notepad or
> wordpad. However, I would agree that print support in web software
> tends to be rather basic, and flaky. This is rather why there are
> addons which do a better job.
>
> I have to admit, I don't print web pages beyond a few pages, and as
> such I can't speak whether it's truly and issue or not. Web->print
> support SUCKS so I imagine it could be.
>
> Different web browsers handle printing different. Opera for example
> defaults to landscape, and keeps the backdrop. This'll suck up the
> ink without a doubt, esp on black pages. Firefox by default ditches
> the backdrop, and goes portrait. But regardless, web->print support
> tends to be very flaky and as such Measekite did actually for one have
> a point. I'd have to test his assertion.

I just checked with Firefox and Linux, and you COULD print in that
fashion, but it would require a separate print run for each printer
page. For example, a four-page webpage would require you to print #1,
then #3, then flip the paper and print 2 and 4. A messy and bothersome
proposition, to be sure.

However, if using an HP printer with Linux, it's possible to set the
printer driver to do the odd/pause-for-flip/even operation from there,
then set it back afterward. It will also turn the automatic duplexer on
and off, if your printer is so equipped.

The Canon driver for Linux might not be so enlightened.

TJ