From: Whatcher? on

"Damien McBain" <askme(a)ifyawantit.invalid> wrote in message
> Rob wrote:
>
>> KBarwell wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Pentium D 945 CPU Dual Core 3.4GHz (BX80553945), that I want to
>>> build a PC around. I am thinking of using the GigaByte GA-81945GZME-RH
>>> motherboard.
>>> Can anyone confirm this would be suiable or have another recommendation?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> Have you looked at the gigabyte site?
>>
>> Its all there in the specs for the motherboards.
>
> I've bought a number of Gigabyte boards for building home PCs. I now use
> Asus because I find them more consistently reliable.

Interesting you say that. A couple of years ago Asus had so many problems I
went away from them to Gigabyte and never looked back.

From: Rod Speed on
Krusty <news(a)kogarah.net> wrote
> KBarwell <kbarwell(a)bigpond.net.au> wrote

>> I have a Pentium D 945 CPU Dual Core 3.4GHz (BX80553945), that I want to build a PC around. I am
>> thinking of using the GigaByte GA-81945GZME-RH motherboard.

>> Can anyone confirm this would be suiable or have another recommendation?

> I have used the Asus P5VDC-MX
> http://www.asus.com.au/search.aspx?searchitem=1&searchkey=p5Vdc-mx on three systems in the past
> week (friends & family) & have been very happy with it. It takes DDR or DDR2 memory, has on board
> audio & video but supports PCI-E & AGP.

Pretty minimal PCI-E support tho.

> It's one of the most adaptable boards I've seen & supports the new Conroe processor as well (FSB
> 1,066).

Really only that viable is you need AGP support for an existing card.

From: Rob on
KBarwell wrote:
> "Rob" <mesa(a)mine.com> wrote in message
>
>>KBarwell wrote:
>>

>>>I have a Pentium D 945 CPU Dual Core 3.4GHz (BX80553945), that I want to
>>>build a PC around. I am thinking of using the GigaByte GA-81945GZME-RH
>>>motherboard.
>>>Can anyone confirm this would be suiable or have another recommendation?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>David
>>
>>Have you looked at the gigabyte site?
>>

> Yes I have, and to me it seems a good choice but as I am a bit new at
> building a PC I was hoping someone with some experience would confirm they
> are a good match.
>
>>Its all there in the specs for the motherboards.

I usually use an intel chipset for an intel processor.

Yes the Pentium D processor will fit that board - but the processor was
in an interim "stop gap processor" till the Core 2 was released. Intel
was caught on the hop by AMD. The core 2 is a better processor.

A 965 chip set board would be better.

These board are about $105+ and "all in one" with limited expansion.
VGA expanded with a PCI Express card. It only runs slow RAM up to 400
DDR2 (usually running 800 now)

Using this board, your Cpu and memory its cheap to build.
From: Damien McBain on
Whatcher? wrote:

> "Damien McBain" <askme(a)ifyawantit.invalid> wrote in message
>> Rob wrote:

>>> Have you looked at the gigabyte site?
>>>
>>> Its all there in the specs for the motherboards.
>>
>> I've bought a number of Gigabyte boards for building home PCs. I now use
>> Asus because I find them more consistently reliable.
>
> Interesting you say that. A couple of years ago Asus had so many problems I
> went away from them to Gigabyte and never looked back.

<chuckle> the heart of the matter: for every opinion there is an equal and
opposite alter-opinion!
From: Whatcher? on

> Whatcher? wrote:
>
>> "Damien McBain" <askme(a)ifyawantit.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I've bought a number of Gigabyte boards for building home PCs. I now use
>>> Asus because I find them more consistently reliable.
>>
>> Interesting you say that. A couple of years ago Asus had so many problems
>> went away from them to Gigabyte and never looked back.
>
> <chuckle> the heart of the matter: for every opinion there is an equal and
> opposite alter-opinion!

My opinion was based on, admittedly, only their newest MB at the time. No
matter what you did, each time you bought one, it was rooted. Did 3 in a row
and got upset and went to Gigabyte. Before that event, I used to swear by
Asus. After that, I would swear AT them.