From: Chad Neeper on
Andrew wrote:
> Chad Neeper wrote:
>> Quicken has the ability to synchronize bill and income reminders to
>> Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Can you provide a panel or HELP for this? I searched my Quicken HELP tab
> for variations of this theme, and didn't find anything. Q2010 P.
> I'd like to perhaps investigate 'turning this on'.
>
> Thanks!

You're right, when I ran across it originally, I also tried to find in
the Help. If it's in there, it not indexed and I haven't found it yet.
HOWEVER, here's where I stumbled across it in Q2010 H&B:

Bills tab -> Manage Bill & Income Reminders -> Create New -> Scheduled
Bill or Deposit

The right side of this window has a section titled "Help". In this Help
section, the last item on the list is "Can I see my reminders in
Outlook?". Clicking on this item pops up a balloon window with the
following text:

"Sure, you can. To see your reminders in Outlook, do the following:
1. Select the Sync to Outlook check box, enter your bill details, and
then click Ok.
2. On the Bills tab, click Sync to Outlook. Alternatively, select the
Sync to Outlook check box in the One Step Update Settings dialog.

Note: You can update the reminder details in Quicken at any time. To see
the changes in Outlook, do step 2."

In Q2010 H&B, this is the _only_ mention I've found of doing any sort of
synchronizing to an external calendar. In fact, I don't even seem to
have the "Sync to Outlook" option itself. I'm wondering if the feature
used to be available at some point, but has been removed and the mention
in the help window is just an oversight.

I would find the ability to sync certain select reminders to an external
calendar very useful. I use a non-Outlook calendar on a daily basis, but
pretty much never use the calendar in Q. It's simply not convenient to
me, even though seeing certain upcoming reminders would be useful.

Hope this helps.

(As I mentioned earlier, if anyone else finds this useful, please shoot
off a feature request to Intuit! The more people requesting it, the more
likely it will be incorporated in a future version!)

--

-----------------------
Chad Neeper

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

-- Full LAN/WAN consulting services --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --
From: John Pollard on
Chad Neeper wrote:
> John Pollard wrote:
>> Chad Neeper wrote:
>>> Feature request for Quicken Home & Business: Add the option to
>>> synchronize bill/income reminders to a specified iCAL file in
>>> addition to synchronizing with Outlook. This would allow the
>>> reminders to be

>> I think the sync-to-outlook feature pertains to lesser Quicken
>> versions than H&B: was there a specific reason you made your request
>> only for H&B?
>
> I had no reason for specifying H&B specifically, other that to
> indicate what version I use. I would hope that if Intuit chose to
> implement the feature, it would be implemented for all versions. (But
> if not, then I'd prefer it be included in the version _I'm_ using! :-)

Fair enough.

My limited investigation suggests that iCAL is an Apple thing.

Do any Windows desktop apps use it?

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Han on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:hqvdkq$vol$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

> Chad Neeper wrote:
>> John Pollard wrote:
>
>>> I think the sync-to-outlook feature pertains to lesser Quicken
>>> versions than H&B: was there a specific reason you made your request
>>> only for H&B?
>>
>> I had no reason for specifying H&B specifically, other that to
>> indicate what version I use. I would hope that if Intuit chose to
>> implement the feature, it would be implemented for all versions. (But
>> if not, then I'd prefer it be included in the version _I'm_ using! :-)
>
> Fair enough.
>
> My limited investigation suggests that iCAL is an Apple thing.
>
> Do any Windows desktop apps use it?

I believe google calendar (a very nice one) can import/export it/them,
but I don't use that feature ...
--
Best regards
Han
From: B on
On 4/24/2010 1:35 PM, John Pollard wrote:
> Chad Neeper wrote:
>> John Pollard wrote:
>
>>> I think the sync-to-outlook feature pertains to lesser Quicken
>>> versions than H&B: was there a specific reason you made your request
>>> only for H&B?
>> I had no reason for specifying H&B specifically, other that to
>> indicate what version I use. I would hope that if Intuit chose to
>> implement the feature, it would be implemented for all versions. (But
>> if not, then I'd prefer it be included in the version _I'm_ using! :-)
>
> Fair enough.
>
> My limited investigation suggests that iCAL is an Apple thing.
>
> Do any Windows desktop apps use it?

Yes, there are Windows apps that support ical. ical has become the
standard for interchanging calendars. The format was originally
developed by Lotus and Microsoft. The Wikipedia article is quite good.

The wonderful ReminderFox add-on to Firefox and Thunderbird uses the
ical format.

Mozilla Lightning and Sunbird both handle ical. My Outlook 2003 for
Windows can send ical meeting requests. Outlook 2007 can export and
import ical formats for syncing with Google calendar and with phones
that use the ical format.

Bernie
From: Chad Neeper on
B wrote:
> Yes, there are Windows apps that support ical. ical has become the
> standard for interchanging calendars. The format was originally
> developed by Lotus and Microsoft. The Wikipedia article is quite good.
>
> The wonderful ReminderFox add-on to Firefox and Thunderbird uses the
> ical format.
>
> Mozilla Lightning and Sunbird both handle ical. My Outlook 2003 for
> Windows can send ical meeting requests. Outlook 2007 can export and
> import ical formats for syncing with Google calendar and with phones
> that use the ical format.
....Which is precisely why it would be really nice if Quicken would
automatically update an ical file with select Bill Reminders. In my
case, I use Thunderbird e-mail with the Lightning calendar extension. In
the calendar, I have several local calendars configured. One each for
birthdays, business appointments, personal appointments. I then also
synchronize with several publicly-available ical calendars on the
Internet, which provide calendars for phases of the moon, US holidays. I
then also sync up with a Yahoo calendar that my wife uses so we can
co-ordinate better. It would be nice to be able to add in notices of
when select bills are coming due.

Since Outlook supports ical, if Quicken would support ical rather than
strictly Outlook, Intuit can greatly increase the usefuless of the feature.

Of course, this is all a moot point unless Intuit becomes motivated to
add the feature.

(BTW, nice summary on ical, Bernie.)

--

-----------------------
Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

-- Full LAN/WAN consulting services --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: nemo posts
Next: update/upgrade