From: Michael Heiming on
In comp.os.linux.setup Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es>:
> Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.setup Enrique Perez-Terron <enrio(a)online.no>:
>> [..]

>>> Before that, I saw the post with Euler's phi, but then I thought
>>> it a bit irrelevant because it was too sophisticated. I could

>> Well, but then you don't know Peter, that was exactly the reason
>> for pointing it out. ;-)

> No - I wouldn't make the answer _complex_. It requires intellience to
> find simplicity, and none to find complexity!

Sure, you mentioned the ";-)"? At least got you with this one. ;-)

mail: echo zvpunry(a)urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 364: Sand fleas eating the Internet cables
From: Charlie Gibbs on
In article <11jbe7qhs7v5m4b(a)corp.supernews.com>, jdbeyer(a)exit109.com
(Jean-David Beyer) writes:

> I liked the puzzel like this where a bunch of small integers were
> given, and they seemed to have a pattern, but unless you were a
> resident of Manhattan Island, you would not recognize they were
> the stops of the 8th Avenue Subway.

I like the alternate answer to this one:

Q: What are the next letters in this sequence: O T T F F S ...

A: It's Buckwheat singing "The Star-Spangled Banner":
"O tay tan foo fee, sy ga bawn's merly wight..."

--
/~\ cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

From: Jean-David Beyer on
Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> Enrique Perez-Terron <enrio(a)online.no> wrote:
>
>>Actually the original idea when I started "analyzing" the problem
>>in the post was that I felt I was blocking myself from seeing the
>>obvious, and I have sometimes managed to force myself over that
>>barrier by looking hard at the search space definition. I started
>

> Yes, that is good. In your first post you got close when you considered
> generating one set of things from another (AFAIR) and thought about primes
> or sets of number coprime to an existing set. I had trouble avoiding
> pointing you either towards or away from that line of thought.
>
> Michael also was close in that for some amazing reason he chose to
> consider euler's phi (which I did not remember at all) but did not
> notice that the peaks in the phi function WERE the sequence given.
>

>>writing with the conviction I was not going to post it, but since
>>I did not find out much I thought perhpas it could spark off
>>something in one of the others. It did, but in myself.
>

> Well done.
>
> I think that trying to think of an irregular monotonic rising series
> was a good way to go. I had already said that no algebraic expression
> would give the sequence (but that a computation was possible). Looking
> at the number of members of the sequence in each integer range might
> have shown a log/n behaviour too.
>

> Peter

I never thought to ask you: do you teach there? I had the idea you mostly
did sysadmin, but I infer you do (or could do) more... .

^^-^^ 21:05:00 up 102 days, 15:03, 3 users, load average: 4.34, 4.28, 4.12
From: Jean-David Beyer on
Charlie Gibbs wrote:
> In article <11jbe7qhs7v5m4b(a)corp.supernews.com>, jdbeyer(a)exit109.com
> (Jean-David Beyer) writes:
>

>>I liked the puzzel like this where a bunch of small integers were
>>given, and they seemed to have a pattern, but unless you were a
>>resident of Manhattan Island, you would not recognize they were
>>the stops of the 8th Avenue Subway.
>

> I like the alternate answer to this one:
>
> Q: What are the next letters in this sequence: O T T F F S ...

I know the traditional answer to this:
O T T F F S S E N T.
But do you know the next 10?
E T T F F S S E N T
and the next 80?
T ...
T ...
F ...
F ...
S ...
S ...
E ...
N ...

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on

"Jean-David Beyer" <jdbeyer(a)exit109.com> wrote in message

> I never thought to ask you: do you teach there? I had the idea you mostly
> did sysadmin, but I infer you do (or could do) more... .

The only way Peter teaches if he has tenure from 20 year old work and no
longer actually teaches classes. Professional teachers do *not* snark at the
newbies who have come to actually learn.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Building GLIBC-2.3.5
Next: Kodak DVC325 webcam driver?