From: pmlonline on
Hello,

I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
three pages of CD's
http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/mp=category/se=101/tf=title.html?id=sorJVU3v

I don't know much about the different flavors but long ago an SA I knew
swore by Mandrake. I also like RedHat, but I see so many different
CD's and which one is the correct one to buy. For example, they have
"CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the
difference? I just want to install the darn thing and get it over
with-- no servers, just a good secure firefox or netscape browser,
calculator, good word processor.

I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp
router. I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It
won't work! Someone said I need to install the dhcp-client. Did that,
still don't work. I thought maybe 7.1 doesn't understand the latest
version of dhcp until I talked to my friend who installed the latest
Mandrake 1.5 years ago. He said it didn't work with his dhcp also, but
that was 1.5 years ago. We both are behind a router. That's one good
thing about Windows-- you just tell it you're using dhcp and it works.
I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
(4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?
Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as
security. I can't stand spending anymore weeks on installing an old
linux os. I hear Linux workstations are a lot more stable and
user-friendly these days. Does Mandrake have issues with dhcp?

What about all those other flavors and such as Pink Tie Linux? Anyhow,
I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and info. I just want a
desktop workstation that will guarantee to work with my router, very
user-friendly, and secure.

Thanks a million,
Paul

From: Peter T. Breuer on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see

Then buy them all. Or download them for free. What's the problem?

> CD's and which one is the correct one to buy. For example, they have
> "CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
> Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the

Ask Cheapbytes. Why ask us? What is an "install cd"? I don't know what
you mean by the term ... do you mean it contains a program of some kind
that copies the rest of the stuff on the cds onto your disk and then
asks you some foolish questions about what to put in some exceedinly
bvious configuration files?

> difference? I just want to install the darn thing and get it over
> with-- no servers,

Eh? Every linux machine is a server of many things, even if only to itself.
How will you run any graphical applications without an X server? How
will you receive mail without a mail server? How will you log in to
your box without an ssh server?

> just a good secure firefox or netscape browser,

Then anything will do. As it would if you wanted a "server".

> calculator, good word processor.

> I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp
> router.

That's nothing to do with mandrake. A router which serves DHCP requests
respons when you run a dhclient. The client does the rest of the config.
Run dhclient and see!

> I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It
> won't work! Someone said I need to install the dhcp-client.

Of course you do! How else would you ask the dhcp server for an IP
address lease?

> Did that,

Well, that's a start! Are you ging to tell us you turned on the computer
next?

Wow!

What happened when you RAN dhclient?

> still don't work.

How do you know? What did you do that you think should "work" and what
do you consider "work"? What does tcpdump show of the conversation?
What does dhclient say?

> I thought maybe 7.1 doesn't understand the latest
> version of dhcp

It's nothing to do with the kernel or the distro. It's purely a
function of your client.

Many things could be wrong. Not configuring a hostname in
dhclient.conf, for example. But until you show us yoru config and or
the tcpdump, we won't know, and nor will you!

> until I talked to my friend who installed the latest
> Mandrake 1.5 years ago. He said it didn't work with his dhcp also, but

It works fine.

> that was 1.5 years ago. We both are behind a router. That's one good

DHCP does not pass routers.

> thing about Windows-- you just tell it you're using dhcp and it works.

On linux you just run dhclient and it works! Why is windows making it
so hard for you?

> I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
> (4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?

Eh? Linux does not need "security"!

> Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as

Nonsense. "Idiot-friendly "is what you want.

Peter
From: Michael Heiming on
In comp.os.linux.setup pmlonline(a)gmail.com:
> Hello,

> I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
> three pages of CD's
> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/mp=category/se=101/tf=title.html?id=sorJVU3v

> I don't know much about the different flavors but long ago an SA I knew
> swore by Mandrake. I also like RedHat, but I see so many different
> CD's and which one is the correct one to buy. For example, they have
> "CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
> Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the

Completely outdated, you really don't want to pay for garbage.
Recent Fedora version is FC 4.

> difference? I just want to install the darn thing and get it over
> with-- no servers, just a good secure firefox or netscape browser,
> calculator, good word processor.

> I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp
> router. I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It

Again garbage, don't waste your time with completely EOL stuff,
you wouldn't try to mount snow tires out of the sixties on your
brand new car, wouldn't you? Linux is moving quite fast, do
yourself a big favor and install something recent. Many distro
can be downloaded freely, if you have a halfway reasonable
internet connection.

Good luck

mail: echo zvpunry(a)urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 295: The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when
you find it.
From: pmlonline on
I can only talk about linux older than 1.5 years. The insall was
straightforward. I also tried RedHat 6.1. The insall will ask if
you're using dhcp. Everything installed. No modifications and you
boot it up and the internet does NOT work Don't give me your
idiot-friendly stuff. My IQ is over 150. I've installed windows
countless time. Never had a problem with network. I don't want a
linux that you need to tcpdump, editing some dhclient.conf file. It
should only need to know one thing, "are you using dhcp." Try reading
all the posts regarding mandrake and dhcp. People say you need
dhcp-client installed. If you tell the installer you need dhcp and it
doesn't even install dhcp-client then that's real smart.

Paul

From: Peter T. Breuer on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I can only talk about linux older than 1.5 years. The insall was
> straightforward. I also tried RedHat 6.1. The insall will ask if
> you're using dhcp. Everything installed. No modifications and you
> boot it up and the internet does NOT work Don't give me your
> idiot-friendly stuff. My IQ is over 150.

:-). Ordinary tests only go up to 145! You must be on one of those
pay-and-we-evaluate-you schemes!

> I've installed windows
> countless time.

Then I don't see that your IQ can be above 90. The way you act shows it
closer to single figures than triple!

> Never had a problem with network. I don't want a
> linux that you need to tcpdump, editing some dhclient.conf file. It

There you are - no IQ. There is no "some", there is no "want", there is
only "do". Those who can, do. Those who can't live under the impression
that Archie Bunker is King and tripe sausages grow on the trees...

Peter
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: Building GLIBC-2.3.5