From: Peter T. Breuer on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> > I've installed windows
>> > countless time.
>>
>> Then I don't see that your IQ can be above 90. The way you act shows it
>> closer to single figures than triple!

> The way I act?

You said that you failed to get dhcp to "work" by "installing a dhcp
client" (approx). That is deeply unintelligent.

> Care to provide a concrete example?

Above.

> Look at my first
> post.

I've no idea what is your "first post". Supposing I do, or can, know is
deeply unitelligent.

> It was polite.

Quite probably! So? What does that have to do with your IQ? Is Lesley
Lamport polite? Is John Speelman?

> You're the one that came in with a chip on the
> shoulder.

My shoulder havvum plenty chip, but it with you havvum none.

> And what, I'm supposed to put up with it?

Yep. Either that or answer back displaying the avowed intelligence.
That will make me feel deeply soothed.

Here. Here's a chance for you. Next number in this series, please:

1 2 4 6 10 12 ..

Answers by next friday.

> With every post
> you keep getting nastier.

I don't like poseurs.

>> > Never had a problem with network. I don't want a
>> > linux that you need to tcpdump, editing some dhclient.conf file. It
>>
>> There you are - no IQ. There is no "some", there is no "want", there is
>> only "do". Those who can, do. Those who can't live under the impression
>> that Archie Bunker is King and tripe sausages grow on the trees...

> You sound like a teenage.

I think you mean "teenager". One whose age is teen.

> Gee, I can hardly wait to hear your next
> attack.

Good. I can hardly wait to hear your next defense. It should be pretty
good fun listening to why an intelligent person believes that not
having any choice in what happens on his computer (a la windows) is
"user-friendly", and that he should exercise his intelligence best
by not taking any interest in what happens on his computer.

Look - your computer DOES WHAT YOU TELL IT TO. Not like in windos.
That means you have to bestir your lazy bones and TELL IT WHAT TO DO.

So geddap and edit yon dhclient.conf file, and run dhclient, and tell
us what wondrous mystick things ye observe, o frabjous one.

> Pal, if your mind was even remotely sharp then you would know
> that your behavior is illogical.

Oh it's remotely sharp.

> Let me guess what you're thinking--
> "Gee, what's the best way to do the most verbal damage?"

No - I'm wondering where to place the upturned scissors.

> Wake up and
> put yourself in the shoes of others.

Ugh. No thanks. I have "shoe problems". Sizewise.

> What kind of society would
> thrive?

In the shoes of others? I daresay a society would survive that had
everyone in everbody elses shoes. Wouldn't you? Or maybe they would
have clean telephone handsets.

> A society where people worked together or where people
> attacked and each other.

I fail to follow whatever might be the flow of logic here.

> Hey, you started it.

No, Ibelieve you will claim that you started it. Oh - what? You didn't
start dhclient? Tut. Then how would you get an IP address via DHCP?

Peter
From: Rick Moen on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:

> I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
> three pages of CD's
> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/mp=category/se=101/tf=title.html?id=sorJVU3v

Have a look at http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major, then
make up your own mind.

> For example, they have
> "CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
> Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the
> difference?

Impliedly, they're both install sets, but one includes more stuff. By
the way, Fedora Core 1 is pretty obsolete. Do _not_ install old,
unmaintained Linux distributions. They will have installation problems
on modern hardware, _and_ burgeoning security problems.

> I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp
> router.

Mandrake 7.1 is now _horribly_ outdated, and would be a severe security
hazard, if you could install it at all on account of hardware-support
issues on modern hardware.

> I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It
> won't work! Someone said I need to install the dhcp-client. Did that,
> still don't work.

Probably, it has hardware-support issues with your network interface
device. QED.

> I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
> (4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?

Mandriva (formerly Mandrakelinux) 10.1 is still _only_ one year old, and
thus only a bit obsolete. But it's obsolete enough that you shouldn't
buy it in September 2005 for no better reason than Cheapbytes having
some old CD-ROM inventory that it's still somewhat sleazily trying to
unload onto the unwary.

> What about all those other flavors and such as Pink Tie Linux?

Again, consult Distrowatch, then please make up your own mind. People
asking "What's the best Linux distribution?" became old a decade ago.

--
Cheers, Everything is gone;
Rick Moen Your life's work has been destroyed.
From: Peter T. Breuer on
Unruh <unruh-spam(a)physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> writes:
>>> I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
>>> (4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?

>>Eh? Linux does not need "security"!

> Now lets not get silly. Every operating system needs security,

It doesn't need it because it HAS it. If he means "up to date"
or "provides automatic updates", then he can say so, cos' that's
different. Or at least not the same.

> linux
> included. It may be more secure than Windows but also has its own secrurity
> issues.

And they are its own, so it doesn't need any more.

>>> Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as

>>Nonsense. "Idiot-friendly "is what you want.

> As in "automatically weeds out responses from idiots"?

I believe that might be one interpretation.

Peter

From: Peter T. Breuer on
Rick Moen <rick(a)linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Probably, it has hardware-support issues with your network interface
> device. QED.

As in "Mr. brilliant here hasn't checked that his ethernet is working
before concluding that his DHCP client/server is having difficulty talking
across the dead wires between him and his expensive line terminator".

I like that one. It is indeed a good bet, but in the absence of
evidence, who can say? Not us. Not him.

>> What about all those other flavors and such as Pink Tie Linux?

> Again, consult Distrowatch, then please make up your own mind. People
> asking "What's the best Linux distribution?" became old a decade ago.

:-). It's even too old to rant about!

Peter
From: Douglas Mayne on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 07:07:26 -0700, pmlonline wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
> three pages of CD's
> http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/mp=category/se=101/tf=title.html?id=sorJVU3v
>
> I don't know much about the different flavors but long ago an SA I knew
> swore by Mandrake. I also like RedHat, but I see so many different
> CD's and which one is the correct one to buy. For example, they have
> "CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
> Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the
> difference? I just want to install the darn thing and get it over
> with-- no servers, just a good secure firefox or netscape browser,
> calculator, good word processor.
>
> I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp
> router. I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It
> won't work! Someone said I need to install the dhcp-client. Did that,
> still don't work. I thought maybe 7.1 doesn't understand the latest
> version of dhcp until I talked to my friend who installed the latest
> Mandrake 1.5 years ago. He said it didn't work with his dhcp also, but
> that was 1.5 years ago. We both are behind a router. That's one good
> thing about Windows-- you just tell it you're using dhcp and it works.
> I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
> (4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?
> Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as
> security. I can't stand spending anymore weeks on installing an old
> linux os. I hear Linux workstations are a lot more stable and
> user-friendly these days. Does Mandrake have issues with dhcp?

Don't know, don't use it myself. My guess is that it can be made to work.
Mandriva 10.1 is out and I don't know how old version 7.1 is.

> What about all those other flavors and such as
>Pink Tie Linux? Anyhow,
> I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and info. I just want a
> desktop workstation that will guarantee to work with my router, very
> user-friendly, and secure.
>
> Thanks a million,
> Paul

Here is a description of what a linux distribution is from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution

Here is a ranking of current popularity of distributions:
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Here are a couple of words of advice, FWIW.

Windows knowledge is only partly applicable to linux. If you have been
using computers since DOS days, then there is more overlap because users
were expected to know more about the layout of disc devices, etc. back
then. Fortunately for you, a lot of others have already made the move to
linux from Windows before you. The documentation is fairly complete, and
you can learn as much (or as little) as you'd like. Today, a lot of
linux distributions are as point-and-click friendly as Windows. The
trouble begins when your system doesn't work as expected. If you intend
to fix things yourself, then you'll have to learn something along the way.

You could try knoppix live cd to get a feel for what linux is all about.
In my experience, this seems to work right out of the box. Download it
here (or another mirror):
http://mirrors.xmission.com/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso

Unfortunately, the download is over 600M. Supposedly, knoppix 4.0 is out.

You can learn a lot from reading the forums and searching with google, but
I don't know if that is the best first starting point. Maybe, wikipedia
or the Linux Documentation Project is better for the beginner.
http://www.tldp.org/

There are a lot books available on Unix/Linux. But the real problem is
where to begin. The problem people have advising you, is that you
haven't chosen a specific distribution. The first step is to get your
feet wet, and maybe a distro like knoppix is good for that. The idea is
to leave the user wanting for more- to move from a live cd to a full
install which will run faster, etc. There are a lot of distributions to
choose from. You can try one of the top distributions at random or you can
do more research which would be best for you.

One thing which is not helpful is insulting those who are trying to help
you. Calm down. You might be in a bit over your head at first, but
you're not drowning.

--
Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis. One of these days, one of these men might save your life.
Russell: Then again, maybe one of us won't.