From: Jim Haynes on
One thing you could consider is buying the book "Linux Made Easy:
The Official Guide to Xandros3 for Everyday Users" by No Starch Press.
It comes with the Xandros CD. I have no experience with Xandros myself,
but the advertisement for the book suggests it is aimed at people who
want to switch from Windows to Linux.

Look in google groups for comp.os.linux.announce for the complete
announcement.

Getting back to the advice of others - if you have access to a fast
network and a CD burner then you can download a lot of stuff and burn
your own CDs. If not CheapBytes is a reasonable place to get it
already written to CD. But you still have a problem getting updates
since there are lots of them and some of them are big.

If you can, get a spare computer or in your regular computer a spare hard
drive or spare partition. Hard drives are cheap. That way you can play
with several Linux installations before you commit to installing it for
real. You learn a lot by doing an installation and getting it to work
the first time. In fact you might want to unplug your regular hard drive
so you are sure you won't scribble on it and substitute the spare drive
for your experiments. Getting help from a friend who has already been down
that road is good advice.

Personally I'm using Fedora Core 4 on two desktop machines, and Fedora
Core 1 on a laptop - I had some trouble getting more recent Fedora systems
to work with the peculiar hardware of the laptop. I played with Mandrake
for a while, but I've been using Red Hat for a long time and found
Fedora more familiar - not that Mandrake was significantly harder to
install or configure.

Email me if you wish.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

From: John Hasler on
Bernard Peek writes:
> So I suggest that seriously think about using one of the download
> versions. The ones that I've used recently are SuSE Linux and Ubuntu
> Linux, either one will be fine for what you want. I'd go with Ubuntu if I
> were you. Both can be installed by downloading an ISO image of a CD then
> burning that to a CDR to make a bootable disk. You boot from that and
> follow the instructions.

Ubuntu will send you free CDs of their current release. See
<www.ubuntu.com>.
--
John Hasler
john(a)dhh.gt.org
From: Martin Fenelon on
23 Sep 2005 14:07 UTC, pmlonline(a)gmail.com typed:
> I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy.

Have a look at http://www.slackware.com

Two CD's to download and in spite of what you might hear, it's very easy
to configure.

--
Email: Martin Fenelon <fenm at freeuk dot com>
From: pmlonline on
Douglas Mayne wrote:
> Here is a ranking of current popularity of distributions:
> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

Very nice! That made the decision 99% faster. About time someone made
a chart, lol. I know, I know, it's probably been there for ages and I
never saw it.

I'll download Ubuntu and order Mandriva on CD.

Thanks,
Paul

From: pmlonline on
> > As in "automatically weeds out responses from idiots"?
>
> I believe that might be one interpretation.

Isn't that fuzzy logic? Some would say Bill Gates is smart-- smart
enough to make a few billion $. That doesn't mean he has the time or
desire to study Linux. Some may be idiots but what about those who
don't have the time. I doesn't seem that much to ask for a secure os
like linux to perform a default install and connect to a dhcp server
without me holding its hand. If you tell the latest Mandrake you want
dhcp then do I have to manually install a dhcp-client? I know Mandrake
7.1 doesn't, hence to reason for so many Mandrake / dhcp questions.
Most workstation users don't want to learn all the gottchas, ins and
outs, tricks or whatever you call it of an OS. Time = money for some
folks. Go I really need to get a Mac?

Paul

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14