From: Peter T. Breuer on
Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.setup Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es>:
>> Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer(a)exit109.com> wrote:

> 22

No, but that's not a bad attempt. It's a later member of the series all
right!

> [ possibly ]

Peter
From: Jean-David Beyer on
Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:

>> 22
>

> No, but that's not a bad attempt. It's a later member of the series all
> right!
>

>>[ possibly ]
>

> Peter

I liked the puzzel like this where a bunch of small integers were given, and
they seemed to have a pattern, but unless you were a resident of Manhattan
Island, you would not recognize they were the stops of the 8th Avenue Subway.

^^-^^ 16:35:00 up 101 days, 10:32, 4 users, load average: 4.43, 4.37, 4.28
From: Peter T. Breuer on
Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer(a)exit109.com> wrote:
> Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>> Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:

>>> 22
>>

>> No, but that's not a bad attempt. It's a later member of the series all
>> right!

> I liked the puzzel like this where a bunch of small integers were given, and
> they seemed to have a pattern, but unless you were a resident of Manhattan
> Island, you would not recognize they were the stops of the 8th Avenue Subway.

Don't worry, this puzzle is purely numeric/arithmetic and no tricks
(there, I shouldn't have given you the clue - now you have so much less
to consider!).

Peter
From: Peter T. Breuer on
Peter T. Breuer <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
> Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer(a)exit109.com> wrote:
>> Peter T. Breuer wrote:

>> I liked the puzzel like this where a bunch of small integers were given, and
>> they seemed to have a pattern, but unless you were a resident of Manhattan
>> Island, you would not recognize they were the stops of the 8th Avenue Subway.

> Don't worry, this puzzle is purely numeric/arithmetic and no tricks
> (there, I shouldn't have given you the clue - now you have so much less
> to consider!).

I'll add by way of background ... this puzzle was set me by the then
world (math) Olympiad champion when I walked into Trinity bar as an
eighteen year old and was introduced to him as "the scholar at Clare".

He wasn't much good at conversation. Or walking down the street come to
that. But the pressure of having to think of the answer to keep face then
has meant that the problem has stayed embossed in my head all these years.

Peter
From: Unruh on
"Peter T. Breuer" <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> writes:

>Michael Heiming <michael+USENET(a)www.heiming.de> wrote:

There are an infinite number of answers. Any number from minus infinity to
infinity can be justified as the next number.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Building GLIBC-2.3.5
Next: Kodak DVC325 webcam driver?