From: pmlonline on
Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> > I've installed windows
> > countless time.
>
> Then I don't see that your IQ can be above 90. The way you act shows it
> closer to single figures than triple!

The way I act? Care to provide a concrete example? Look at my first
post. It was polite. You're the one that came in with a chip on the
shoulder. And what, I'm supposed to put up with it? With every post
you keep getting nastier.

> > Never had a problem with network. I don't want a
> > linux that you need to tcpdump, editing some dhclient.conf file. It
>
> There you are - no IQ. There is no "some", there is no "want", there is
> only "do". Those who can, do. Those who can't live under the impression
> that Archie Bunker is King and tripe sausages grow on the trees...

You sound like a teenage. Gee, I can hardly wait to hear your next
attack. Pal, if your mind was even remotely sharp then you would know
that your behavior is illogical. Let me guess what you're thinking--
"Gee, what's the best way to do the most verbal damage?" Wake up and
put yourself in the shoes of others. What kind of society would
thrive? A society where people worked together or where people
attacked and each other. Hey, you started it.

Paul

From: Yves Bellefeuille on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, pmlonline wrote:

> I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
> cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy.

Using whatever your friends or co-workers is using is not a bad idea. It's
easier to get help that way.

See also http://www.distrowatch.com/ . I wouldn't necessarily choose the
most popular distribution, but you might want to limit yourself to the top
ten.

> I just want a desktop workstation that will guarantee to work with my
> router, very user-friendly, and secure.

If you want something simple, then I wouldn't recommend Gentoo or Debian.

--
Yves Bellefeuille
<yan(a)storm.ca>

From: Unruh on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com writes:

>Hello,

>I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
>cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
>three pages of CD's
>http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/mp=category/se=101/tf=title.html?id=sorJVU3v

>I don't know much about the different flavors but long ago an SA I knew
>swore by Mandrake. I also like RedHat, but I see so many different
>CD's and which one is the correct one to buy. For example, they have
>"CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set, $13" and "CheapBytes Fedora
>Linux 1 Full Set, $7" Are they both install cd's? What's the
>difference? I just want to install the darn thing and get it over
>with-- no servers, just a good secure firefox or netscape browser,
>calculator, good word processor.

>I have an old 7.1 Mandrake, but I can't get it to work with my dhcp

That is far far too old. Get a modern version. Either 10.1 or 2005LE or
wait a month and get 2006.

>router. I have spent two solid days on it, read all the forums. It
>won't work! Someone said I need to install the dhcp-client. Did that,
>still don't work. I thought maybe 7.1 doesn't understand the latest
>version of dhcp until I talked to my friend who installed the latest
>Mandrake 1.5 years ago. He said it didn't work with his dhcp also, but
>that was 1.5 years ago. We both are behind a router. That's one good
>thing about Windows-- you just tell it you're using dhcp and it works.

That is one good thing about Mandrake, you just tell it you're using dhcp
and it works.

Anyway, Upgrade your 7.1. This is not based on dhcp, but on general
advice-- far more chance that your new computer will work and be supported.
Then make sure that dhcpcd is installed
urpmi dhcpcd
Then go into Mandrake Contrl Center and tell it to use dhcp.
then as root do
service network down
service network up
If there is trouble, tell us what it is-- ie exact error messages.

>I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
>(4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?
>Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as

I like it. Does that make it "kick as king"?

>security. I can't stand spending anymore weeks on installing an old
>linux os. I hear Linux workstations are a lot more stable and
>user-friendly these days. Does Mandrake have issues with dhcp?

No.

>What about all those other flavors and such as Pink Tie Linux? Anyhow,

That is Redhat. REdhat has this thing about their trademark and do not want
other people distributing their operating system (even though they cannot
prevent it under the GPL.) So by sicing their lawyers on firms like
cheapbytes they have forced them to change the name from Redhat to pink
tie. Exactly the same distro REdhat distributes, different name due to
obnoxious legal behaviour.

>I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and info. I just want a
>desktop workstation that will guarantee to work with my router, very
>user-friendly, and secure.

guarentees we cannot give. For all we know you bought a router which is
designed to test if the operating system is Microsoft and fails if it is
not. Or you forgot to plug the thing in.

From: Bernard Peek on
In message <1127484446.719537.290370(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
pmlonline(a)gmail.com writes
>Hello,
>
>I am now switching over to linux as a workstation. I'm at
>cheapbytes.com, but I have no idea what flavor of linux to buy. I see
>three pages of CD's

You seem to be reasonably smart, so I suppose that you don't need all of
the printed documentation that you get with a boxed Linux distro. So I
suggest that seriously think about using one of the download versions.
The ones that I've used recently are SuSE Linux and Ubuntu Linux, either
one will be fine for what you want. I'd go with Ubuntu if I were you.
Both can be installed by downloading an ISO image of a CD then burning
that to a CDR to make a bootable disk. You boot from that and follow the
instructions.

There is more information on the SuSE and Ubuntulinux web sites. Please
don't try to install Linux without doing some more research.

An alternative is to get a recent Knoppix CD and boot from that. It's a
"live" CD, so it runs Linux without necessarily disturbing your existing
software installation. That will give you a better idea of how Linux
works and what decisions you may need to make later. There are a lot of
choices that you could make when installing Linux for the first time,
and until you have been using it for a while you can't be expected to
understand what they are.

--
Bernard Peek
London, UK. DBA, Manager, Trainer & Author.

From: Unruh on
"Peter T. Breuer" <ptb(a)oboe.it.uc3m.es> writes:
>> I see a good buy on Mandrake, "CheapBytes Official Mandrake Linux 10.1
>> (4 CD-R) $9" Is Mandrake still the kick as king in Linux security?

>Eh? Linux does not need "security"!

Now lets not get silly. Every operating system needs security, linux
included. It may be more secure than Windows but also has its own secrurity
issues.

>> Don't get me wrong, user-friendly is just as important to me as

>Nonsense. "Idiot-friendly "is what you want.

As in "automatically weeds out responses from idiots"?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Building GLIBC-2.3.5
Next: Kodak DVC325 webcam driver?