From: Stan Brown on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:53:08 +0200 in comp.os.linux.setup, Peter T.
Breuer favored us with...
> pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
> > I can only talk about linux older than 1.5 years. The insall was
> > straightforward. I also tried RedHat 6.1. The insall will ask if
> > you're using dhcp. Everything installed. No modifications and you
> > boot it up and the internet does NOT work Don't give me your
> > idiot-friendly stuff. My IQ is over 150.
>
> :-). Ordinary tests only go up to 145! You must be on one of those
> pay-and-we-evaluate-you schemes!

Is the Cattell test not "ordinary"? It goes up to 178.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry
From: Stan Brown on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:38:54 +0100 in comp.os.linux.setup, Bernard
Peek favored us with...
> An alternative is to get a recent Knoppix CD and boot from that. It's a
> "live" CD, so it runs Linux without necessarily disturbing your existing
> software installation. That will give you a better idea of how Linux
> works and what decisions you may need to make later.

It's also a really wonderful rescue CD, for when an installation
trashes the partition table (as happened to me).

From: Stan Brown on
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:25:39 -0600 in comp.os.linux.setup, Douglas
Mayne favored us with...
> Supposedly, knoppix 4.0 is out.

In DVD, in German; but the CD "lite" version is a few days away.
http://www.knoppix.com/ and scroll down about half way.

From: Peter T. Breuer on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> > As in "automatically weeds out responses from idiots"?
>>
>> I believe that might be one interpretation.

> Isn't that fuzzy logic? Some would say Bill Gates is smart-- smart

Making money doesn't mean you are smart. Einstein was not rich. Nor was
Socrates. Smart people are generally not very interested in money,
because it is, well, err, boring.

Go work in a bank. Yawn.

Peter
From: Peter T. Breuer on
pmlonline(a)gmail.com wrote:
> like linux to perform a default install and connect to a dhcp server
> without me holding its hand.

If you want it to do it, TELL IT TO DO IT. It's quite simple - it does
what you tell it to do, unlike windows. No hand holding is required!
Configure the dhclient.conf file the way you like it, and run dhclient.
Fin. You will be amazed at all the nice choices you have in the conf
file. So much freedom .. make use of it!

> If you tell the latest Mandrake you want
> dhcp then do I have to manually install a dhcp-client?

I would imagine so! How would you tell it "I want dhcp" otherwise? Or
does it come as part of the base set of packages? Anyway -it'syours to
choose.

> I know Mandrake
> 7.1 doesn't

?? I have never heard of a default mandrake install not having a dhcp
client, althugh I am willing to believe you if you provide some evidence! Have you considered that it may be called something
Are you perhaps forgetting that it may be called something other than
dhclient? dhcp-client? pump?

> hence to reason for so many Mandrake / dhcp questions.

I've never seen any to note, and I read the mandrake newsgroup. Where
do you get your figure from? Mandrake dhcp problems are generally "I
filled in a value for the ip address but chose zeroconf, and now I
can't resolve dns". Or something.

> Most workstation users don't want to learn all the gottchas, ins and

There aren't any. And "yes they do". Your desire for ignorance is not
common to the intelligent.

Peter
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Building GLIBC-2.3.5
Next: Kodak DVC325 webcam driver?