From: Don Phillipson on
"Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message

> I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
> folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
> doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits

This is an artifact of the NTFS format procedure. If you reformat
in FAT32 you will not see it.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Henry on
Don Phillipson wrote:
> "Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message
>

>>I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
>>folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
>>doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
>

> This is an artifact of the NTFS format procedure. If you reformat
> in FAT32 you will not see it.

How do I format in FAT32 please? When I click on format, the only
choice I have is NTFS.

Henry
From: Mark Adams on

"Henry" wrote:

> Don Phillipson wrote:
> > "Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
> >>folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
> >>doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
> >

> > This is an artifact of the NTFS format procedure. If you reformat
> > in FAT32 you will not see it.
> >
> How do I format in FAT32 please? When I click on format, the only
> choice I have is NTFS.
>
> Henry
> .

Do the reformatting in Disk Management. Detete the partition on the external
drive (make sure you select the correct drive letter), recreate the
partition, then format FAT32. Keep in mind that the FAT32 file system cannot
handle files larger than 4 GB. If you plan on keeping multi-GB drive images
or large video files for example, on the external disk, it will have to be
formatted NTFS.
From: John John - MVP on
On 8/4/2010 2:28 PM, Henry wrote:
> Don Phillipson wrote:
>> "Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
>>> folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
>>> doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
>>

>> This is an artifact of the NTFS format procedure. If you reformat
>> in FAT32 you will not see it.
>>
> How do I format in FAT32 please? When I click on format, the only choice
> I have is NTFS.

The operating system will not permit you to format drives larger than
32GB to FAT32. And that's a good thing...

John
From: Henry on
Mark Adams wrote:

> "Henry" wrote:
>

>>Don Phillipson wrote:
>>
>>>"Henry" <wa0goz(a)arrl.net> wrote in message

>>>This is an artifact of the NTFS format procedure. If you reformat
>>>in FAT32 you will not see it.
>>>

>>How do I format in FAT32 please? When I click on format, the only
>>choice I have is NTFS.
>>
>>Henry
>>.
>>

> Do the reformatting in Disk Management. Detete the partition on the external
> drive (make sure you select the correct drive letter), recreate the
> partition, then format FAT32. Keep in mind that the FAT32 file system cannot
> handle files larger than 4 GB. If you plan on keeping multi-GB drive images
> or large video files for example, on the external disk, it will have to be
> formatted NTFS.

Even when I do as you instructed, when I get to format the only choice
I have is NTFS. I do not have FAT32 as a choice.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Default web browser
Next: Missing mshtml.hlp file