From: Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
>> There is no way to resize the docked Tablet Input Panel on Windows XP <<

fyi, go to tip options/writing and set space between lines to a lower
value. This will reduce the space at the bottom (and resize the tip box)
From: Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
>> If I choose under "Options" that it shouldn't be docked it doesnt
undock, it disappears! <<

I'd like to know about this as well... somewhere along the updates, an
update broke this functionality.

Also, from my observations, updates possibly broke the tip insert popup.

These and other features worked as advertised, and I, for one, feel that
being directed to vista in order to fix them is less than reasonable.

Respectfully, but sincerely,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

From: V Green on

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message
> >> If I choose under "Options" that it shouldn't be docked it doesnt
> undock, it disappears! <<
>
> I'd like to know about this as well... somewhere along the updates, an
> update broke this functionality.
>
> Also, from my observations, updates possibly broke the tip insert popup.
>
> These and other features worked as advertised, and I, for one, feel that
> being directed to vista in order to fix them is less than reasonable.
>
> Respectfully, but sincerely,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

I noticed the same thing you guys did. I Google'd around
and found out that it's not disappearing, it's undocking but
hidden and sometimes not enabled.

Here's how I make the TIP float on demand:

Open TIP from the Taskbar
do Options (gear icon on right) Undock
(it'll "disappear")
Open TIP again from Taskbar
(Gear)
(ignore that it's saying that it's docked at the bottom or top)
then Options>>General
tick ON "Show Input Panel next to the text entry
area when possible"
(NOTE: if it's already on, turn it off, Apply>>OK
then go back and turn it ON as described above)
Click Apply then OK
Close the "docked" TIP with the upper-right X
Open something that needs text. The "undocked" TIP
(the icon version) should be active.

This is a completely repeatable behavior here on my U810.

From: Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] on
Good knowledge builder thread...

Unfortunately the steps posted don't seem to work on my tablet, but, the
post prompted me to experiment and found the following.

The "undock" only works with the stylus

The only way I have found to undock the tip is to set the "Show
input..." as you suggested, then put the stylus next to an insertion
point in an app and tap the floating tip icon when it appears.

In other words, the "undock" selection on the tip options does not
appear to work with either stylus or mouse... will experiment further.

Since I have my tablet docked most of the time, it wasn't obvious that
the tip responds differently to mouse and stylus, especially since I
don't have a wacom desktop monitor ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

From: V Green on
Bev:

Oops, forgot to mention that...

Figured since everyone was trying to undock in
Tablet mode, they would already be navigating
with the stylus...