From: Kev Provance on

"mayayana" <mayaXXyana(a)rcXXn.com> wrote in message
|> In fact, I'm going to be posting something on my
| > site fairly soon showing how to do
| > a lot more than that.
| >

| I just posted a scripting component last week
| that makes it easy to clean a drive of ADS files in
| seconds. :)
|
| Personally I'd uninstall anything I caught
| using hokey, secretive techniques like ADS.

It's not all that hokey. My app uses ADS to save file description info to
WAV files since ID3 is of no use. However, I am up front about this with my
users, specifically to say if you transfer said files to anything lower than
Win 2000, that data will be lost.

From: Larry Serflaten on

"John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote

> I was wondering if someone can recommend a good way to store images and
> configuration files in a way that prevents users' from *casually*
> opening files and modifying them. I'm not referring to passwords or
> other sensitive information.

How about using a reversable algorithm to jumble the file data? Store the
stuff (see: http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/file/combine2.htm) then scramble
the file data in a way that you can undo the mix up. Send the jumbled file
to the client, where you unscramble the file to a new file, load your stuff,
and delete the file. If you're really concerned, you might try to unscramble
it all to memory and use it from there....

It doesn't have to be complex, just enough to make text un-readable. You'd
have to test it, but I'd speculate, with the text sufficiently jumbled, the images
(if they can find out where that data is) would appear to be colored snow with
no discerable features.

Try it and see.

LFS

From: mayayana on

> It's not all that hokey. My app uses ADS to save file description info to
> WAV files since ID3 is of no use. However, I am up front about this with
my
> users, specifically to say if you transfer said files to anything lower
than
> Win 2000, that data will be lost.

Also if they move it off-disk, to a non-NTFS
partition, CD, etc. Or if they're on FAT32 XP
or move the files to FAT32 XP.

Microsoft used ADSs for file properties for
awhile. If I remember correctly they used them
for the Summary tab data for Word, but then
decided to reverse that decision because there
are so many ways to lose the data.

From: Jeff Johnson on

> Microsoft used ADSs for file properties for
> awhile. If I remember correctly they used them
> for the Summary tab data for Word, but then
> decided to reverse that decision because there
> are so many ways to lose the data.

ADS is still used for non-Office file properties.

From: mayayana on

> > Microsoft used ADSs for file properties for
> > awhile. If I remember correctly they used them
> > for the Summary tab data for Word, but then
> > decided to reverse that decision because there
> > are so many ways to lose the data.
>
> ADS is still used for non-Office file properties.

Non-Office file properties? You mean like Artist
for music files and other specialty things like that?
And they only exist on Vista/7? The only ADS I was
aware of is the tag used to mark files downloaded
by IE.