From: Scott M. on

"John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote in message
>I will need to update files related to my project regularly (through a
>separate downloader) and would like to store everything in some sort of
>container that can't be edited or modified on the client's machine. How
>should I go about this?

Don't store it on the cient's machine.

-Scott

From: Scott M. on

> Scott M. wrote:
>> "John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote in message
>>> I will need to update files related to my project regularly (through a
>>> separate downloader) and would like to store everything in some sort of
>>> container that can't be edited or modified on the client's machine. How
>>> should I go about this?
>>
>> Don't store it on the cient's machine.
>>
>> -Scott
>
> I was wondering if someone can recommend a good way to store images and
> configuration files in a way that prevents users' from *casually* opening
> files and modifying them. I'm not referring to passwords or other
> sensitive information.

Well, there is is difference between *causually* and "can't be edited or
modified on the client's machine".

For this, ust store the data in files that become embedded into your
assembly as an embedded resource, which you can access via your project's
properties and then the Resources tab.

-Scott

From: Kev Provance on

"Scott M." <s-mar(a)nospam.nospam> wrote in message

| "John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote in message
| > Scott M. wrote:
| >> "John Smith" <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote in message
How

| >> Don't store it on the cient's machine.
| >>
| >> -Scott
| >
| > I was wondering if someone can recommend a good way to store images and
| > configuration files in a way that prevents users' from *casually*
opening
| > files and modifying them. I'm not referring to passwords or other
| > sensitive information.
|
| Well, there is is difference between *causually* and "can't be edited or
| modified on the client's machine".
|
| For this, ust store the data in files that become embedded into your
| assembly as an embedded resource, which you can access via your project's
| properties and then the Resources tab.

Putting aside Scott's completely useless and non VB6 related answer (VB6
does not deal in assemblies, that is a .Nxt thing), have you considered a
property bag object? You could adjust properties from within your app, but
would be completely uneditable by the user via any convention means like
Notepad or the like.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
John Smith <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote:

>I will need to update files related to my project regularly (through a
>separate downloader) and would like to store everything in some sort of
>container that can't be edited or modified on the client's machine. How
>should I go about this?

I wonder if there's any VB code out there to read password protected
ZIP files? I use the open source InfoZip DLLs but I strongly suspect
they're written in C or C++ or similar.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>I wonder if there's any VB code out there to read password protected
>ZIP files? I use the open source InfoZip DLLs but I strongly suspect
>they're written in C or C++ or similar.

BTW the problem with using the Infozip DLLs is that they likely want
to unzip to a file on the hard drive. Rather than into variables in
memory.

Tony