From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>>>And, I'm pretty
>>>sure most articles, including mine, say that the ADS "goes away" if you copy/move
>>>the file onto a non-NTFS volume.
>>
>> Or put the file in a zip file, delete the original and move it back
>> out?
>
>Yeah, it looks like WinZip doesn't preserve the ADS, either.

I assumed it wouldn't. Glad to read my assumption was correct.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
John Smith <spam(a)not-a-real-domain-name.com> wrote:

>> I will need to update files related to my project regularly (through a
>> separate downloader) and would like to store everything in some sort of
>> container that can't be edited or modified on the client's machine. How
>> should I go about this?
>
>Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I decided it would be
>worth the effort to bundle everything into a .res file and make updates
>through my exe. I have 75 or so files and I was hoping to avoid a
>rewrite of the interface but it seems this is the safest and most
>practical approach.

Note that my firewall software, Online Armour, complains whenever a
program creates an exe and, I think, dlls. Unless I put it into
install mode or trust the program.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:

>>> Or put the file in a zip file, delete the original and move it back
>>> out?
>>
>>Yeah, it looks like WinZip doesn't preserve the ADS, either.
>
> I assumed it wouldn't. Glad to read my assumption was correct.

Not that it'd be difficult to write a ZIP utility that did. You'd just have to care
enough to implement it.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org