From: Spamlet on

"Beyond X" <donotmail(a)nomail.com> wrote in message
> As known by many, LCD wide screen monitors show horizontally distorted
> images (a circle appears as an ellipse). I got Samsung SyncMaster 2333
> (23"diagonal) in my WinXP computer mainly used for photo editing. Annoyed
> with horrible pictures, I had to raise its resolution to the highest,
> 1920x1440, which is beyond my eyes' comfort but improves the aspect ratio
> significantly. The problem that I now face is disappearance of the
> Window's taskbar. I raised the screen's vertical position as high as
> possible, but it does not make the taskbar reappear.
> (If I lower the monitor's resolution to or below 1600x1200, the taskbar
> reappears, but the images are distorted.)
> Can anyone help me?

I have a similar problem on our Dell desktop system (XPPro SP3).
With the screen comfortable, photos appear too tall, but if this is
corrected by setting the screen to Dell's 'optimum', all the Windows
features are too small to use. Numerous goes at finding better fits always
had some drawback - like there not being options for some of the features in
the desktop display settings: so I just got used to the taller appearance of
my pics in the end, and held back on the resizes.

From: Robert Kochem on
Beyond X wrote:

> Thanks for suggestion. This brings up another problem I have to ask for
> a solution about. For unknown reason(s) the DVI-I or DVI-D connection
> does not work in my system, that is, when connection to the monitor is
> switched to DVI, the monitor shows blank/black screen as if a monitor is
> not connected to the computer (WinXP Home SP2).

May be the DVI cable is defect or your Monitor misinterprets the signal. My
old graphics card used to send a signal with a refresh rate of ~59.9999Hz.
If screws on the DVI connectors were not 100% tighten the Monitor did not
display anything because the minimum refresh rate supported is 60Hz...

Robert
From: Beyond X on
Thanks a lot for information.
My video card is Diamond Radeon HD4350 PCIe (512MB) which I purchased
very recently and which offers several resolutions but the aspect ratio
is all 4:3.
I ended up to install a fresh copy of XP in a new partition. For the
videocard, I downloaded newer drivers, which indeed offered several
resolutions corresponding to aspect ratio 16:9. Also I have the taskbar
at its normal position (bottom of the screen) even with the highest
resolution.
Only problem I still have is this: My XP is SP2 and I am unable to
upgrade to SP3 even though automatic update has been on. What am I missing?
Thanks again to all folks from the bottom of my heart.
BeyondX

I thought that the aspect ratios were a design character of individual
cards (hardware) and that the design of such a new card must have
considered wide screen monitors like mine until I learned from you that
it is changeable by drivers (software). So I was encouraged and visited
Diamond's website and attempted to update drivers for this
particular card.

From: Unknown on
What happens when you manually try to update?

From: Paul on
Beyond X wrote:
> Thanks a lot for information.
> My video card is Diamond Radeon HD4350 PCIe (512MB) which I purchased
> very recently and which offers several resolutions but the aspect ratio
> is all 4:3.
> I ended up to install a fresh copy of XP in a new partition. For the
> videocard, I downloaded newer drivers, which indeed offered several
> resolutions corresponding to aspect ratio 16:9. Also I have the taskbar
> at its normal position (bottom of the screen) even with the highest
> resolution.
> Only problem I still have is this: My XP is SP2 and I am unable to
> upgrade to SP3 even though automatic update has been on. What am I missing?
> Thanks again to all folks from the bottom of my heart.
> BeyondX
>

> I thought that the aspect ratios were a design character of individual
> cards (hardware) and that the design of such a new card must have
> considered wide screen monitors like mine until I learned from you that
> it is changeable by drivers (software). So I was encouraged and visited
> Diamond's website and attempted to update drivers for this
> particular card.

The video resolution is fully programmable, to arbitrary X and Y.
Typical rules are, the X value must be divisible by 8, and the
Y value must be divisible by 2. The driver normally does the programming
of this, but there are other options.

If the driver does not support the correct resolution, you have two
options.

1) Sometimes, the display control panel has a "custom resolution" box,
where you can add a new value.

2) You can use Powerstrip from entechtaiwan.com .

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

3) Using a new driver (which worked for you).

If the monitor is 16:9, then for a circle to be a circle,
the video card resolution choice must also be in a ratio of
16:9.

In some cases, the X_offset and Y_offset values for
the video image, need to be adjusted, for the image to be
centered on the monitor screen. As an example, if I boot
a Linux CD, the image is offset a bit from the proper
position. The clock in the corner of the screen, isn't fully
visible, because of the offset error. If I install the
Nvidia Linux (tainted) driver, the offsets to the edges
of the screen are perfect. The display control panel
of an OS, may also offer adjustments for positional offset.

For weird resolution choices, sometimes the video card
will fill unused regions with "black bars", and there
may be an option such as "preserve aspect ratio" or the like.
I don't recommend such a setting - on my computer here,
that resulted in the LCD monitor on-screen display reporting
"out of range" for the video output, so no image at all was
rendered. YMMV.

Paul