From: Beyond X on
If you meant to tinker settings in device manager, I don't know how I
can change the resolution numbers (aspect ratio). I just had believed
that resolution numbers were predetermined at the hardware desin stage,
that is, I did not know they can be changed by software (drivers) that
can be downloaded afterwards.
Beyond X

From: Beyond X on
Thanks for detailed explanation and educational instruction. Although I
solved my problem by downloading updated drivers, your response
enlightened my understanding how display works.
Beyond X

From: Beyond X on
Thank you very much for advice.
This problem of mine automatically solved when I installed a fresh copy
of WinXP followed by downloading updated video drivers. I do not know
and cannot say what was wrong in the previous settings. But I tried
three different DVI cables in vain, so I do not think it was defective
cables.
I still am unable to upgrade from SP2 to SP3 despite repeated reboots
with automatic update turned on.

From: Bob I on

Beyond X wrote:
> Thank you very much for advice.
> This problem of mine automatically solved when I installed a fresh copy
> of WinXP followed by downloading updated video drivers. I do not know
> and cannot say what was wrong in the previous settings. But I tried
> three different DVI cables in vain, so I do not think it was defective
> cables.
> I still am unable to upgrade from SP2 to SP3 despite repeated reboots
> with automatic update turned on.

How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389

From: Unknown on
What I meant by manually updating is:
Go to www.microsoft.com search for SP3 and download and install it.