From: Daave on
Twayne wrote:
> In news:hd5vmt$a4l$1(a)news.albasani.net,
> VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> typed:
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> I just switched from XP to XP Professional. What is the folder that
>>> stores temporary internet files in XP Professional?
>>
>> The TIF folder is specified in IE's options.
>
> No the default "tif" folder would be in My Pictures usally. The
> default Internet Tem,porary Files are at:
> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files and
> C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files
> and
> C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files
> and
> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files
> and
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary
> Internet Files
> and
> under any other users that may have been created on the machine.
>
> TIF stands for Tagged Image Format and is a type of image same as
> JPG, JPEG, BMP, etc. are.
>
> HTH,

You are ignoring the context on purpose. TIF can obviously mean other
things:

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Temporary+Internet+Files

From: Twayne on
In news:Oon$I9IYKHA.3600(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Daave <daave(a)example.com> typed:
> Twayne wrote:
>> In news:hd5vmt$a4l$1(a)news.albasani.net,
>> VanguardLH <V(a)nguard.LH> typed:

>>> The TIF folder is specified in IE's options.
>>
>> No the default "tif" folder would be in My Pictures usally. The
>> default Internet Tem,porary Files are at:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>> Files and
>> C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files
>> and
>> C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files
>> and
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files
>> and
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files
>> and
>> under any other users that may have been created on the machine.
>>
>> TIF stands for Tagged Image Format and is a type of image same as
>> JPG, JPEG, BMP, etc. are.
>>
>> HTH,
>
> You are ignoring the context on purpose. TIF can obviously mean other
> things:
>
> http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Temporary+Internet+Files

No, I was commenting on the obvious context it was used in/about. lol, do
you mean to say you actually went and looked uip what other things it could
possibly stand for?! In the "context" it was an improper reference that
was incorrect; no big deal, but worth mentioning IMO. In your case, you're
just playing cactus.

From: Shenan Stanley on

Twayne wrote:
> No, I was commenting on the obvious context it was used in/about. lol, do
> you mean to say you actually went and looked uip what other
> things it could possibly stand for?! In the "context" it was an
> improper reference that was incorrect; no big deal, but worth
> mentioning IMO. In your case, you're just playing cactus.

If the words, "Temporary Internet Folder", weren't in the subject line of
every post/response - I would agree with your 'context' comment. Seeing as
the words, "Temporary Internet Folder", is in the subject of each response
and even in the *quoted* message body of the original posting, the 'context'
was spelled out from the beginning. :-)

Essentially - you walked into a room that had a big banner hanging saying,
"Temporary Internet Files" and heard someone say the words out loud,
"Temporary Internet Files" and someone respond with "TIF Folder" and you
decided to make a joke/comment about the double-use of the final letter/word
(TIF Folder, if expanded, would be (staying within the context of this
conversation) Temporary Internet Folder Folder) ... At least that is what I
can see. ;-)

The context is correct - the usage is something I have seen in other things
when acronyms start being used... Usually the repeat of the last word/words
of the acronym because the person just doesn't think it 'sounds right' to
just say the acronym - or it is not descriptive enough.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> original posting, the 'context' was spelled out from the beginning.
> :-)
> Essentially - you walked into a room that had a big banner hanging
> saying, "Temporary Internet Files" and heard someone say the words
> out loud, "Temporary Internet Files" and someone respond with "TIF
> Folder" and you decided to make a joke/comment about the double-use
> of the final letter/word (TIF Folder, if expanded, would be (staying
> within the context of this conversation) Temporary Internet Folder
> Folder) ... At least that is what I can see. ;-)
>
> The context is correct - the usage is something I have seen in other
> things when acronyms start being used... Usually the repeat of the
> last word/words of the acronym because the person just doesn't think
> it 'sounds right' to just say the acronym - or it is not descriptive

You're using too much logic and common sense, Shenan. Remember, this is
Twayne. ;-)

From: VanguardLH on
Robert wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> I just switched from XP to XP Professional. What is the folder that
>>> stores temporary internet files in XP Professional?
>>
>> The TIF folder is specified in IE's options.
>
> Okay, it's showing Documents and Setting/User/Local
> Settings/Temporary Internet Files just like in XP. But when I go to
> Local Settings in Explorer it's not there. I have folder options on
> Local Settings set to show hidden folders.

Your account name in Windows is actually "user"? If so then the above
path is correct. However, I suspect your account name is not user. You
need to go to:

%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Notice the use of backslashes, not forward slashes. Because there are
spaces in the path, you will need to enclose the above within double
quotes. %userprofile% is an environment variable that will have as its
value the path to your account's user profile folder, like "C:\Documents
and Settings\<youraccountname>".

In Windows Explorer, you don't even have to complete the folder name but
just type enough characters to uniquely identify it. In its Address
Bar, enter:

%userprofile%

Then append:

\l

That's probably all you have to enter for the drop-down match list to
show the Local Settings folder, so select it using the down arrow key
(not the Enter key which will open that folder). This updates the
Address Bar. Then append:

\t

and use the down-arrow to select the Temporary Internet Files folder
from the match list. Now hit Enter and Windows Explorer navigates to
that folder.