From: Undead on
On Jan 14, 2:50 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
> CNET TV has posted a short video listing the Top 5
> computers of the 1980's.  The Commodore 64 wins out
> by being number 1!  (We're number 1... we're number 1!)
> The Amiga computer comes in fifth place.  To see the
> video, go to
>
> http://cnettv.cnet.com/1980s-computers/9742-1_53-50081092.html?tag=sm....
>
>           Truly,
>           Robert Bernardo
>           Fresno Commodore User Group
>          http://videocam.net.au/fcug
>           The Other Group of Amigoids
>          http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
>           Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
>          http://www.sccaners.org

The Commodores nicely book-ended the 80's, as is illustrated in this
top 5 list. Well done.
From: Andreas Kohlbach on
jonny wrote on 14. January 2010:

> Yep, 30 million of those babies were sold around the world, but sales
> of the Amiga, especially in the US, were a travesty, although it did
> very well in Europe (UK and Germany) and Australia.
>
> Why was the Amiga so ignored in the US?

Interesting question. And not dumb at all, as some other (Spectrum ;-)
user said.

But didn't the dude on the show say that it could do "more than 16
Mio. colors, and that in 1985"? That should be wrong. With tricks (HAM
mode) it could do 4096 for my knowledge.

Also why wasn't the Atari XL and ST not mention. Did they perform so
badly that they fell off the top 5? At least in Germany there was a "war"
going on between Commodore (C64, later Amiga) and Atari (XL and ST later)
users of who has the larger d***.
--
Andreas
My Commodore 64 classic game music page at
From: Paashaas on
Op 15-1-2010 3:03, Andreas Kohlbach schreef:

> Also why wasn't the Atari XL and ST not mention. Did they perform so
> badly that they fell off the top 5? At least in Germany there was a "war"
> going on between Commodore (C64, later Amiga) and Atari (XL and ST later)
> users of who has the larger d***.

Cool, a guessing game... disk?

From: Bill Garber on

"Paashaas" <paashaas(a)home.nl> wrote in message news:5e445$4b5018a0$524b6e3b$22366(a)cache5.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
> Op 15-1-2010 3:03, Andreas Kohlbach schreef:
>
>> Also why wasn't the Atari XL and ST not mention. Did they perform so
>> badly that they fell off the top 5? At least in Germany there was a "war"
>> going on between Commodore (C64, later Amiga) and Atari (XL and ST later)
>> users of who has the larger d***.
>
> Cool, a guessing game... disk?

Aw Man, why is it never Hang-Man? :-(((((

Does it have to be 4 letters? 'drives'?

B.G.

From: Math1723 on
On Jan 14, 4:56 am, "winston19842...(a)yahoo.com"
<winston19842...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> TI-99 was #4! Cool!

How many of you notice that they made a mistake in the final screen,
showing the TI-99/4 instead of the TI-99/4A? Tsk tsk, if you did
not. :-)

This should probably have been called the "Top 5 Home Computers of the
1980's", back when the term "home computer" meant in contradistinction
to "microcomputers" (IBM's, Macs, etc.). Home Computers were priced
in the hundreds of dollars, whereas micros were in the thousands.
People don't use those terms today, but it was certainly an
interesting time. :-)