From: Sam Gillett on

<spike1(a)freenet.co.uk> wrote ...

> DanSolo <daniel.otoole(a)ucd.ie> did eloquently scribble:
>
>> Hardly Commodore's fault thier machine was vastly more popular!
>
> Only in its country of origin though.

You should have checked with Germany and the Scandinavian countries before
making that ridiculous statement. Not to mention places such as Australia,
Japan, etc....

> Just as the spectrum was more popular in ITS country of origin.

That is easy to understand, as The Queen taxed foreign competition to death.

>> Sinclair did try to sell overseas you know, they just couldn't do it.
>
> Ah, but they DID do it. In spain and other european countries it was quite
> popular, and where it wasn't sold, clones like the hobbit, scorpion and
> pentagon sprang up (in the eastern block)

See above, then add Canada to the list of countries where Commodore ruled.
Shall we continue adding to the list?
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: spike1 on
Sam Gillett <samgillettnospam(a)diespammermsn.com> did eloquently scribble:
>> Just as the spectrum was more popular in ITS country of origin.

> That is easy to understand, as The Queen taxed foreign competition to death.

The monarch hasn't taxed anything for over 100 years.

>>> Sinclair did try to sell overseas you know, they just couldn't do it.
>>
>> Ah, but they DID do it. In spain and other european countries it was quite
>> popular, and where it wasn't sold, clones like the hobbit, scorpion and
>> pentagon sprang up (in the eastern block)

> See above, then add Canada to the list of countries where Commodore ruled.

I included canada. I didn't say USA, I said north american subcontinent.
So nyerrrrr. (Or did I say that in a different post... pah, can't be arsed
checking back)
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|
| in |good to you so far... |
From: MagerValp on

s> But with the 128, the z80 must've been crawling.

Yup. It was only included as management promised CP/M compatibility,
and the nasty hack that was the C64 CP/M cartridge didn't (and
couldn't) work on the C128. As a side effect the C128 managed to keep
compatibility with C64 cartridges, by using the Z80 as the primary CPU
when powering on. This, and many more interesting stories can be found
in http://www.commodorebook.com/ :)

I don't suppose anyone's written a book documenting the rise and fall
of Sinclair?

--
___ . . . . . + . . o
_|___|_ + . + . + . Per Olofsson, arkadspelare
From: Duncan Snowden on
spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:

> Sam Gillett <samgillettnospam(a)diespammermsn.com> did eloquently scribble:
>>> Just as the spectrum was more popular in ITS country of origin.
>
>> That is easy to understand, as The Queen taxed foreign competition to death.
>
> The monarch hasn't taxed anything for over 100 years.

Make that 300. Civil War, Glorious Revolution, 17th Century. (I'm
strongly against all the casual anti-Americanism that's around these
days, but even I have to wonder just how dumb the Yanks were when they
addressed the Declaration of Independence to the King, a hundred years
after the monarch ceased to have any responsibility for taxation,
legislation and the deployment of troops. Sure, communications were a
bit slower in those days, but come *on*...)

--
Duncan Snowden.
From: Duncan Snowden on
MagerValp wrote:

> This, and many more interesting stories can be found
> in http://www.commodorebook.com/ :)
>
> I don't suppose anyone's written a book documenting the rise and fall
> of Sinclair?

No need. Sinclair's still around. http://www.sinclair-research.co.uk

:-P

--