From: spike1 on
Chris Young <chris.usenet(a)mail-filter.com> did eloquently scribble:
> On 9 Dec 2006 08:58:00 -0800 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
> to MC :

>> > Crikey, my Speccy never had that effect on the ladies. (Something to do
>> > with using words like "crikey", perhaps? -Ed.)
>>
>> Crikey would work well enough in this part of the US, as long as you
>> had the aussie ocker accent to go with it.

> No need. Most Americans can't seem to distinguish between English and
> Australian accents anyway.

Indeed, they thought my sister was an aussie. She's from oldham.
| spike1(a)freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste! |
From: Cameron Kaiser on
"Chris Young" <chris.usenet(a)mail-filter.com> writes:

>>>Crikey, my Speccy never had that effect on the ladies. (Something to do
>>>with using words like "crikey", perhaps? -Ed.)

>>Crikey would work well enough in this part of the US, as long as you
>>had the aussie ocker accent to go with it.

>No need. Most Americans can't seem to distinguish between English and
>Australian accents anyway.

Yes. Mom gets insulted when people think her accent is "vaguely British."

--
Cameron Kaiser * ckaiser(a)floodgap.com * posting with a Commodore 128
personal page: http://www.armory.com/%7Espectre/
From: agila61 on

spike1(a)freenet.co.uk wrote:
> Chris Young <chris.usenet(a)mail-filter.com> did eloquently scribble:
> > On 9 Dec 2006 08:58:00 -0800 da kidz on comp.sys.sinclair were rappin'
> > to MC :

> >> Crikey would work well enough in this part of the US, as long as you
> >> had the aussie ocker accent to go with it.

> > No need. Most Americans can't seem to distinguish between English and
> > Australian accents anyway.

> Indeed, they thought my sister was an aussie. She's from oldham.

A wide range would work, especially combined with Crikey. Not all
English accents, but anything other than Eliza Doolittle and something
sounding like Carol Burnett's fake upper crust accent is a great
chance, and Eliza Doolittle would be more than 50%, if you included
Crikey.

If the young lady is attractive enough, you say, "pretty close, I'm
from .... So have you ever been to Australia?" In this context, the
phrase "pretty close" does not mean, "reasonably close", it means, "you
are pretty enough for me to accept that as close". So with a
sufficiently fit young lady, the exact opposite side of the globe is
"pretty close". When it finally comes out that you're from England,
"... but, I thought you said you were from Australia", you say, "No,
no, England, but a lot of English live in Australia. We get Australian
soap operas on our tellie."

Remember, it doesn't actually have to be an explanation, it just has to
have the general shape of an explanation. A lass I met in NZ from New
Caledonia said that when she was travelling in America, she would say,
"I'm sorry, I'm French" whenever she had to ask someone to repeat
themselves more clearly.

I used to do the Bruce's sketch in a bad midwestern version of a bad
English version of a broad Australian accent, and one time in grad
school a postgrad from England told me it was the closest fake South
African accent he had ever heard from an American. So luckily I wasn't
doing that anymore when I got to Oz.

From: Judge Fishy on
> On the western side of the Atlantic, if you show a Sinclair computer to a
> girl she will run away

Hahahaha!
I'm picturing an American girl running!
I'm told by a very reliable source[1] that girls on the other side of the
pond wobble more than the ZX81's rampack.

[1] Some bloke in the pub.

From: agila61 on
Judge Fishy wrote:
> > On the western side of the Atlantic, if you show a Sinclair computer to a
> > girl she will run away

> Hahahaha!
> I'm picturing an American girl running!
> I'm told by a very reliable source[1] that girls on the other side of the
> pond wobble more than the ZX81's rampack.

> [1] Some bloke in the pub.

There are fit lasses in the US, just not as many per thousand. And the
ones that are fit often have a very high opinion of their intrinsic
appeal as a result. ... or so I am told (married old codger, knives in
knife drawer, etc.).

But more to the POINT: That Was Number 200, on the CSC side, so we can
now pull this turkey out of the oven and call it done.